Quicken Version R42.8 - several issues

Options
David-IA
David-IA Member ✭✭
(Windows 11 Home ) Version 42.8 is a hot mess.
1 - Downloaded transactions prior to entering them in the register has always updated to show a match when entering in the register. Now it will not do that.
2 - Yet again, the program updates when I open it, not when I want to select an appropriate time-an ongoing and irritating issue.
3 - In addition after some updates including this one requires me to re-enter my Quicken ID before I can do transaction downloads. There is absolutely no reason this should happen. If downloads worked without having to enter the Quicken ID yesterday it should happen today.
4 - If I am using "large fonts" the toolbar is half covered by everything else such as spending, bills& income etc. Font size should be widely adjustable for users, NOT arbitrarily set by the program.
5 - Any attempts to resize columns in registers is met with Quicken blocking most attempts that I want. Resizing register columns should work painlessly and be available so that multiple registers can be done from one location, NOT having to attempt this in each individual register.
6 - Updating transactions continues to be too slow.
7 - I have been using the program for many years and usability and performance is getting worse. Trying to find answers to issues is impossible on Quicken website and within community.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    [EDIT] - I added some space and numbers to make it easier to read, follow, and comment -
    and - updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @David-IA

Re: Item #2:

Assuming you're using a Windows computer, it's a Windows setting that's causing your problem. You should adjust your Windows User Account Control Setting to either level 3 or 4. At those levels, Windows will notify you that an app wants to make a change to your computer (in this case, update Quicken) and will give you the option to allow or deny the update.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options

Re: Your item #4 above

If you haven't rebooted Windows since the installation of the latest Quicken update, please do that first and try Quicken again.

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the Compatibility change explained below, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
      or
    • Use Windows File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\ and right-click qw.exe
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10, 11: Click "Change high DPI settings".  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!). Click OK.
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Unless absolutely required, try not to use "View / Use large fonts"
    • Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, click the Fonts button and try different fonts.
    • Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level, but try not to exceed 125%
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    David-IA said:
    (Windows 11 Home ) Version 42.8 is a hot mess.
    6 - Updating transactions continues to be too slow.
    7 - I have been using the program for many years and usability and performance is getting worse. Trying to find answers to issues is impossible on Quicken website and within community.

Slow performance?

How much RAM do you have installed on your computer?

What version of Windows are you using?

After Quicken has been started, what does Windows Task Manager show about "% Memory" usage and "% Disk" busy of your C: - drive?

I have recently upgraded an abysmally slow Windows 8.1, Quicken R 41.10 laptop from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM and the computer now performs very well. I no longer see "96% Memory usage" combined with "100% C- drive busy" just trying to do something, anything on the computer.

• M$D
    M$D Member ✭✭
    Options
    @UKR Thank you :)

Windows 10, 11: Click "Change high DPI settings". Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    M$D said:
    @UKR Thank you :)

Windows 10, 11: Click "Change high DPI settings". Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"
    Thanks for confirming that the high DPI scaling override does indeed fix some display issues under certain conditions.
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the Compatibility change explained below, please undo the change.

Sorry to jump on someone else's thread but I continue to fight display issues (column headers do not appear in some reports, or in investment account "Overview" windows; registers display fine, however). 

I'm on an HP Spectre x360 notebook.  I do not know if I have a "4k" monitor (I suspect I don't).   My recommended resolution is 3480x1260, so that's what I use because that's what works best for all other apps on my computer.  I do have scaling set to the recommended 250%.  Windows' Advanced Scaling settings are set to "Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry" and, in the Quicken executable settings, I have Program DPI checked and High DPI Scaling Override is set to "System (Enhanced."

If I change the Quicken executable's High DPI Scaling override to "Application" in an effort to fix the issues, Quicken becomes unusable.  I cannot function in the application.  The menu at the top is cut off and other various screen text becomes unreadable/tiny.

What's the fix?  I've worked around this for probably at least a couple of years, now, and Quicken is the only application with which I have problems like.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

This discussion has been closed.