Why do downloaded checks default to the same wrong payee?

Options
jschaffe
jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭
When I download transactions (from Truist, in this case) that include written checks not yet entered into Quicken, they always default to the same, incorrect payee even though I've hand entered other checks to different payees since then?  This may have been discussed elsewhere, but my searches couldn't find anything.

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm guessing that you have a Renaming Rule in effect which messes up the payee name. Look for and delete it.
    The bank knows nothing about the actual payee name written on the check. All they know is the check number.
    IMHO, it's best to record handwritten checks right away, BEFORE you download transactions from the bank clearing these checks. That gives you a register transaction with correct payee name, category, amount, etc. which downloaded data cannot mess up.
  • jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I was looking under QuickFill Rules, but, as you suggested, I believe I found the culprit under Renaming Rules.  There was an entry where "CHECK" was renamed to my problematic but occasional payee, and there was also another one for "DEPOSIT".  I deleted both and we'll see how it works the next time a download contains a handwritten check or deposit

Typically, I do prefer to pre-enter checks, but it doesn't always happen.

Thanks for your help!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm guessing that you have a Renaming Rule in effect which messes up the payee name. Look for and delete it.
    The bank knows nothing about the actual payee name written on the check. All they know is the check number.
    IMHO, it's best to record handwritten checks right away, BEFORE you download transactions from the bank clearing these checks. That gives you a register transaction with correct payee name, category, amount, etc. which downloaded data cannot mess up.
  • jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I was looking under QuickFill Rules, but, as you suggested, I believe I found the culprit under Renaming Rules.  There was an entry where "CHECK" was renamed to my problematic but occasional payee, and there was also another one for "DEPOSIT".  I deleted both and we'll see how it works the next time a download contains a handwritten check or deposit

Typically, I do prefer to pre-enter checks, but it doesn't always happen.

Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.