One Step Update and manual QFX Import messed up my Register

Options
LMG462
LMG462 Member ✭✭
I attempted one step update this morning and I received an error cc-601 for my bank account. My bank is currently upgrading their bill pay so I figured that could be causing a problem right now with the downloads. So instead, I logged into my bank account directly and downloaded a QFX file of the most recent transactions.

I attempted to import the file, however, instead of the transactions being added to the existing bank ledger Quicken used those new transactions to create a new ledger under "banking". To make matters even worse, my original ledger under banking has somehow changed and now the balance is completely off. How can I fix this without making the situation worse?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can always restore your Quicken data file from the most recently created backup. You do have a backup taken just before you tried to import that file, don't you?

You can't import a QFX file into an account register which is already activated for downloading with One Step Update or "Update Now").
    If you must import a QFX file for a one-time action, let the import process create a new temporary account register. Import into this account, then block-select all imported transactions (or only the ones you will need) except the new register's Opening Balance transaction. Right-click one of the selected (highlighted) transactions and MOVE them all into the existing credit card account. When done, you can delete the new temporary account register.
    If the existing account register's balance does not match the bank statement's balance, compare the register to the bank statements to find the discrepancies, add missing transactions, delete duplicates, fix incorrect amounts.
  • LMG462
    LMG462 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your help.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What bank ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• LMG462
    LMG462 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Georgia's Own Credit Union
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    UKR said:

You can't import a QFX file into an account register which is already activated for downloading with One Step Update or "Update Now").
    Are you sure about this?  I can download QXF files (via Web Connect) for any of my accounts that normally get updates via OSU or "Update Now" (via DC or EWC).  I've never had any issues doing this.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Damian said:
    UKR said:

Are you sure about this?  I can download QXF files (via Web Connect) for any of my accounts that normally get updates via OSU or "Update Now" (via DC or EWC).  I've never had any issues doing this.
    Unless something changed in Quicken, one could never import QFX into an account that was already activated for downloading. The OP's statement ("I attempted to import the file, however, instead of the transactions being added to the existing bank ledger Quicken used those new transactions to create a new ledger under "banking"") seems to confirm that, unless the OP did not correctly change the action from "Add"/"New account" to "Link to existing".
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMG462 said:   Georgia's Own Credit Union
    looks like this - just for reference.... EWC and manual Web Connect
    06577    06577    06577    Georgia's Own Credit Union
    https://www.georgiasown.org/    1-800-533-2062
    https://online.georgiasown.org/Authentication    ACTIVE  
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damian said:  Are you sure about this?  I can download QXF files (via Web Connect) for any of my accounts that normally get updates via OSU or "Update Now" (via DC or EWC).  I've never had any issues doing this.
    I think the statement needs to be broken into 5 parts -
    1 - is the CU defined for Web Connect
    2 - can you physiclly download a QFX file from the CU
    3 - can you manually Import the QFX file into Quicken
    4 - does the QFX file get imported into Quicken without any errors
    5 - are there any issues during or after the QFX Import

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @ukr - if ever I had any issues with OSU or "Update Now" with any of my accounts, I was always able to download a QFX file to update.  When I did do a WC (import QFX) for the first time, I had to make sure to match up the FI accounts with those already existing in Quicken and not let Quicken default to "Create a new account", which may explain what happened with @LMG462.
This discussion has been closed.