Updating Capital One and Synchrony accounts

Options
Kathy P.
Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
Was wondering why it takes a couple of weeks to update my Capital One and Synchrony accounts. I just tried doing an update on both and it still does not show transactions from second week of July.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kathy P. said:
    Was wondering why it takes a couple of weeks to update my Capital One and Synchrony accounts. I just tried doing an update on both and it still does not show transactions from second week of July.
    Hello @Kathy P.

I am sorry to hear about these issues with One Step Updates. Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue here on the Quicken Community.

First, are you noticing error messages when attempting to update your accounts? Are transactions simply failing to appear until later? Does the register seem to freeze? I want to make sure I understand what's happening clearly. Did this issue start this month?

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe it did start this month. After many months of having trouble with Capital One, the transactions seemed to download okay but then it started not updating current transactions until weeks later. I have not gotten any errors for either Capital One or Synchrony. I have not noticed any freezing. The transaction sometimes appear later, but I still have a couple of deposits in Capital One that are still not showing up. I have reset the account multiple times.
    Also I know I asked a question earlier about the fact that Capital One does not One Step Update along with my other accounts. I have to do that separately. That has been going on for a couple of months know.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Kathy P. said:
    I believe it did start this month. After many months of having trouble with Capital One, the transactions seemed to download okay but then it started not updating current transactions until weeks later. I have not gotten any errors for either Capital One or Synchrony. I have not noticed any freezing. The transaction sometimes appear later, but I still have a couple of deposits in Capital One that are still not showing up. I have reset the account multiple times.
    Also I know I asked a question earlier about the fact that Capital One does not One Step Update along with my other accounts. I have to do that separately. That has been going on for a couple of months know.
    Thanks for your help.
    Hello @Kathy P.,               

I am sorry that these issues with download times are continuing. Thank you for checking back in with me to explain more about what's happening.

First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

Try adding your Capitol One account(s) in the test file by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. 

I hope to hear more from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Jared for your suggestion of making the test file. I added my Capital One accounts (savings, checking and credit card) and everything downloaded, reconciled, and is up to date. Wow. This hasn't happened in a long time. So now what should I do? I'll wait until I hear back from you.
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    And one more thing. It only updated from the end of April of this year. My accounts are much older than that.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    Kathy P. said:
    Thanks Jared for your suggestion of making the test file. I added my Capital One accounts (savings, checking and credit card) and everything downloaded, reconciled, and is up to date. Wow. This hasn't happened in a long time. So now what should I do? I'll wait until I hear back from you.
    Hello @Kathy P.

I appreciate you taking the time to check back in me about your results. I am sorry for the continuing distress these issues have caused.

First, return to your original file, then save a backup, and proceed through the instructions provided below, in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I hope this helps! Let us know about your results, if you have the chance to check back in with us.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I went ahead and did the super validate (after the repair and validate didn't seem to work) and it looked like that worked except for my Capital One checking account and my JCPenney Synchrony credit card. All other accounts with Capital One (savings, credit card) seem okay. I did not try to add the Synchrony card on the test file.
    I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    After looking at the Capital One checking account it was somehow connected to the Capital One 360. It is so confusing, so I went ahead and added the checking again but made sure it was not 360. It seemed to work so we'll see when I try to update in a couple of days if that took care of the problem. Still can't figure out the Synchrony account though.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Kathy P. -  If you look on the General tab in Account Details, what does it show as the Financial Institution?  If it says something like "Synchrony Bank Credit Cards" you will need to deactivate online services, and then reactivate with "JC Penney Credit Card" as the financial institution.  Before you reactivate, on the General tab, clear out the financial institution, account number, and any other online information.
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay thanks Damian for this information. It took a while for me to get the right one to activate and it finally worked. My question is why if this credit card is handled by Synchrony I have to go through JC Penney to correctly download the transactions? And also now that I have numerous accounts, how do I stop the one step update on the old JC Penney? I really don't want to delete the old JC Penney because this new account only goes back a couple of months.
    Again thanks for your help with this!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Kathy P. - actually "JC Penney Credit Card" is the correct Financial Institution to use.  For some reason, it changes to "Synchrony Cards" when you do an account reset or use Web Connect".

Do you have 2 separate accounts for your JC Penney CC on Quicken?  When you reactivated online services using "JC Penney Credit Card" you should have chosen "link to existing" and linked to your JC Penney CC on Quicken.  I think you may have left it at the default "set up as new" and created a new credit card account on Quicken. 

To stop the one step updates in the old JC Penney account, go to the Online Services tab in Account Details and make sure online services are deactivated.

Also, if you do have two accounts on Quicken for your JC Penney CC, you can use the Move command to move the transactions from the "old" JC Penney to the "new" one.
    • Make a backup of your data file, just in case.
    • Run a transaction report on both the "old" and "new" JC Penney accounts.
    • In the old JC Penney account register, click the first transaction in the register to highlight it. 
    • Scroll down to the last transaction, hold down your Shift key and click on the transaction.  That should highlight all transactions in your register.
    • Right click on any transaction and in the menu, click on "Reconcile Status" and choose "Not Reconciled".  This will remove the "R" from all transactions.
    • Select all transactions again by doing the "Shift+Click".  Right click, and in the menu, click on "Move Transactions" and select the new JC Penney account as the destination.
    • If you get any pop-ups asking you to verify, always answer "Yes".
    • After the Move command has completed, the old JC Penney account register should be empty.
    • In the new JC Penney account, highlight the transactions you moved from the old account by doing the "Shift+Click".  Right click and choose "Reconcile Status" and change the transactions back to "Reconciled" (R).
    • In the new JC Penney account, there might be duplicate transactions that need to be deleted, but again use the transaction reports you created to reconcile and ensure your new account is complete.
    • Delete the old JC Penney account by going into Account Details and clicking on the "Delete Account" button at the bottom left of the window.
    In the future, to prevent a new account from being created in Quicken, please remember to "link to existing" and then link to the existing account in Quicken.

I hope clearly outlined everything, but if you have any questions, please let me know.
  • Kathy P.
    Kathy P. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks so much for all these great suggestions. It will take some real concentration on my part to do this. Plus I had just done a super validate which made another file and want to make sure I am not having a bunch of files. Like I said before, I get really confused so I will let you know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.