Synchrony Credit Cards No Longer Getting New Transactions

Options
BarryMo
BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
I have an Amazon card and a Verizon VISA card have have not been able to receive new card transactions since July 7. I have removed the online account links and re-established them and even still get no transactions.

Is there a problem w Synchrony?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BarryMo said:
    I have an Amazon card and a Verizon VISA card have have not been able to receive new card transactions since July 7. I have removed the online account links and re-established them and even still get no transactions.

Is there a problem w Synchrony?
    Hello @BarryMo,   

I do apologize about this issue with online banking services. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, have you noticed any CC-502 error messages in association with the Synchrony accounts since July 7th? Also, make sure that there are no filters obscuring the transactions from view by clicking the green Reset button just above the register, if it appears. Next, check the sort order by clicking the small box with the word Date just above the associated column in the register, so that the triangular arrow nearby changes directions. 

I hope to hear back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No error messages and no sort/filter issues. I accept my downloaded transactions so they would appear in that portion of the screen and they do not show up.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BarryMo said:
    No error messages and no sort/filter issues. I accept my downloaded transactions so they would appear in that portion of the screen and they do not show up.
    @BarryMo

Thanks for following up with me about this. I am sorry that this problem remains ongoing.

Have you tried restoring from a backup to see if these issues continue in the restored file? For reference, we recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done regularly, you should be able to restore from a recent backup, saved just prior to when this issue emerged, by navigating to File > Restore a Backup... in the same menu just mentioned.

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless you make backups everyday, restoring from a back-up is a non-starter unless you are in the most dire circumstances.

I did look at a backup from when this was not an issue and see that the Synchrony accounts were configured differently.

The problem is Synchrony is now federating(i.e., sharing access) the two accounts so when you log into the Verizon VISA you can access the Amazon transactions. Note that when you log into the Amazon account, you cannot see the VISA stuff. With my bank, I have multiple accounts and different account numbers but one credential. With Synchrony, I have multiple accounts, different account numbers, different credentials that by default Quicken attempts to bypass and just use the Verizon card data because Synchrony has now federated its access.

For pre-existing Quicken accounts like mine, where there are separate IDs and passwords this creates a scenario where I cannot download data for either. When I created a new Quicken file, Quicken handled these but is having problems with the pre-existing accounts. The lazy solution initially offered by support is to just create new accounts and either live with more accounts or copy/paste transactions.

Quicken should either have a check that if it is a pre-existing account, it should not accept the federated access from Synchrony OR have a utility that converts these accounts to support Synchrony.

This problem was created when I did an account reset since I had a transaction gap and by default Quicken used the federated access and killed the ability for me to download for either account.

I have a call later on today w L2 or L3 support.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @barrymo - look on the "Online Services" in Account Details for both these accounts.  If the Financial Institution is "Synchrony Bank Credit Cards" or something like that, that is the issue.

For the Amazon card the FI should be "Amazon.com Store Card - Synchrony"
    For the Verizon VISA the FI should be "Verizon VISA Card"

I would recommend - 
    • for each card, deactivate online services, and then go into the General tab and then clear out the Financial Institution, Account Number, and any other online information.
    • Then re-setup online services with the Financial Institutions listed above.
    • Make sure to "Link to Existing" to the appropriate account in Quicken.
    I have the same issue with the Sam's Club Mastercard that is issued by Synchrony and these steps seem to fix the issue.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Barrymo - I forgot to mention that for some reason, the FI gets changed to "Synchrony Banks Credit Cards" if you do an "account reset" or download transactions directly from your online CC account.  I am not sure why this happens, but it is bizarre behavior and trips people up all the time.
  • BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I did something close to this and am working now. I added the validate and repair file into the mix. The problem did start when I did an account reset and then Quicken butchered the FI and credentials.
  • amysid
    amysid Member
    Options
    Oftentimes, when an account's online access is deactivated and reactivated (and linked to an existing account), the opening balance is changed from the original (usually $0) to a new value (the difference between accepted transactions and the balance since last download (I think). Frustrating! For my accounts, I put the opening balance ($0) and date in the memo of the Opening Balance transaction. That memo data won't get cleared when an account is reset or deactivated/reactivated).
This discussion has been closed.