Vanguard won't support detailed tracking?

NotTechnical
NotTechnical Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I had connection problems with Vanguard and needed to set up the accounts again. When I did, Quicken said that Vanguard only supports simple tracking, even though I've always had detailed tracking with Vanguard. I need detailed tracking. When I disconnected and reconnected all of the accounts again, I got the same message. I noticed a thread on this from earlier this year, but that thread is closed, and the solutions did not work for me.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I had connection problems with Vanguard and needed to set up the accounts again. When I did, Quicken said that Vanguard only supports simple tracking, even though I've always had detailed tracking with Vanguard. I need detailed tracking. When I disconnected and reconnected all of the accounts again, I got the same message. I noticed a thread on this from earlier this year, but that thread is closed, and the solutions did not work for me.
    Hello @NotTechnical

I am sorry to hear about this issue with investment tracking. Thank you for bringing this issue before the Quicken Community. 

First, which instance of Vanguard is being used to add or link your accounts? It appears that there are several options in the Add Account screen. Also, do you know what Connection Type you are using to add or link accounts? You can check this by navigating to the Account List then clicking on the affected account(s) and navigating to the Settings menu signified by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen while Quicken is open, then clicking on the Downloads tab in the window that appears.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • NotTechnical
    NotTechnical Member ✭✭
    I did some experimenting on my own and solved the problem. I disconnected all of the Vanguard accounts. Then I exited and restarted Quicken (for Mac). The accounts had been switched to simple tracking, so I clicked the setting button for each account and re-set each of the accounts to detailed transactions. Then I clicked to reconnect one of the accounts. I selected "Vanguard" and used "Direct Connect." It then found all of the accounts and allowed me to link them to my existing accounts in Quicken. Voila, all are back and using detailed settings again. I have no idea what caused the problem, but it seems like it has happened to a lot of folks and should be fixed by Quicken because it's a pain to re-connect all of the accounts. Thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I did some experimenting on my own and solved the problem. I disconnected all of the Vanguard accounts. Then I exited and restarted Quicken (for Mac). The accounts had been switched to simple tracking, so I clicked the setting button for each account and re-set each of the accounts to detailed transactions. Then I clicked to reconnect one of the accounts. I selected "Vanguard" and used "Direct Connect." It then found all of the accounts and allowed me to link them to my existing accounts in Quicken. Voila, all are back and using detailed settings again. I have no idea what caused the problem, but it seems like it has happened to a lot of folks and should be fixed by Quicken because it's a pain to re-connect all of the accounts. Thanks.
    Hello @NotTechnical

Thank you for getting back to me and letting me know how things turned out. I am happy to hear that you discovered a solution, although I am sorry that there was such difficulty in doing so, and that the issue remains somewhat unclear.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tim.rohrer1
    tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
    I can open a new issue if desired, but there seem to be several already and not clear answer from Quicken.

So, what is going on with Quicken Connect and Vanguard? We need answers, please. Do you want us to switch to Direct Connect?

My Vanguard account is nearly 30 years old. It has gone through several changes, and my account in Quicken includes downloaded data and manual entries. I cannot simply reset and switch to Direct Connect because that will, I believe, result in lost data.

How should this be handled?
  • NotTechnical
    NotTechnical Member ✭✭
    Tim, for what it is worth, when I reconnected and switched to Direct Connect the data that I previously had in my Vanguard accounts (going back a number of years, but not 30) was not lost. In fact, when I clicked the setting button to convert from simple back to detailed tracking, all of the data was still there. Then reconnecting to Direct Connect just downloaded new data, keeping all of the old data in place. You also can create a backup file just in case. My two cents.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I switched several accounts to Direct Connect last year & didn't lose data from any of them. If you're worried about it, just back up your file before making the switch.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• mindyflauto
    mindyflauto Member ✭✭
    That method did not work for me. once i reconnected, the only option was simple tracking. And it seems that I have to setup my account again and again bc vanguard is not connecting.
This discussion has been closed.