Automatic Updates from CC's and investments not working

Options
CTTiger
CTTiger Member
Have had issues over past week with the automatic updates not functioning. Double checked for Quicken and Windows updates, all set there. Anyone else having connection issues?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CTTiger said:
    Have had issues over past week with the automatic updates not functioning. Double checked for Quicken and Windows updates, all set there. Anyone else having connection issues?
    Hello @CTTiger

I am sorry to hear about this issue with online connectivity. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, are you noticing any error messages when One Step Updates fail? Also, are there any particular financial institutions you are noticing issues with? Are transactions simply failing to appear in your register after a One Step Update?

I look forward to your replies, and I intend to assist you further once I have further information. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    Quicken simply freezes (does not respond) to the point we need to force close the program each time we attempt to update... whether we do all accounts or a single account. Investment prices update but not the credit card accounts (3 different banks).
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    CTTiger said:
    Quicken simply freezes (does not respond) to the point we need to force close the program each time we attempt to update... whether we do all accounts or a single account. Investment prices update but not the credit card accounts (3 different banks).
    @CTTiger,  

Thank you for reaching out to me about this again and letting me know more about what is happening. I do apologize that this issue is continuing. 

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File >Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. I have you tried uninstalling the Quicken program using the troubleshooting steps listed here, then removing Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder, and reinstalling the program using the steps listed in this Support Article

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    The file is stored locally under Documents > Quicken. I had not reinstalled Quicken, but I have now followed the instructions provided. I then attempted to update one of the credit cards but the status circle froze after less than a quarter of progress. I restarted Quicken and reattempted the update with a different bank card... same result. I then restarted Quicken and restored a file from a week ago and attempted an update, but again the status froze.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited July 2022
    Options
    CTTiger said:
    The file is stored locally under Documents > Quicken. I had not reinstalled Quicken, but I have now followed the instructions provided. I then attempted to update one of the credit cards but the status circle froze after less than a quarter of progress. I restarted Quicken and reattempted the update with a different bank card... same result. I then restarted Quicken and restored a file from a week ago and attempted an update, but again the status froze.
    @CTTiger

Thank you for reaching out again. I do apologize that this issue is continuing, even after the earlier recommendations were tried.

First, save a backup, then proceed through the instructions provided below, in order:

• Navigate to File
      • Select Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Let us know how these work, if you get the chance.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    I validated the file. I scanned the Log and noted it made repairs. I reopened and updated Quicken and after a few minutes the update completed.

I started processing the downloaded transactions and noted that all Tags before "Jeep" were gone as well as several after. I checked historical transactions that had Tags and they were now blank (even one that was tagged Jeep).

It seems the update issue has been resolved at the cost of historical data (I suspect more than just Tags). How can that be resolved?
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    CTTiger said:
    I validated the file. I scanned the Log and noted it made repairs. I reopened and updated Quicken and after a few minutes the update completed.

I started processing the downloaded transactions and noted that all Tags before "Jeep" were gone as well as several after. I checked historical transactions that had Tags and they were now blank (even one that was tagged Jeep).

It seems the update issue has been resolved at the cost of historical data (I suspect more than just Tags). How can that be resolved?
    Hello @CTTiger,     

Thanks for discussing this with me further. I do apologize about this problem with tags missing and with information disappearing.

When did you first notice the issue with tags missing? This could be related to an ongoing problem that is being discussed in the thread linked here

I am eager to hear any additional information you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    Only after validating the file.
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    Reading that thread does sound like what I am seeing... tags are missing from the list and tags have been removed from historical transactions. But I hadn't noticed prior to the validation.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited July 2022
    Options
    CTTiger said:
    Only after validating the file.
    @CTTiger

Thanks for answering my earlier question. Sorry that this problem is still ongoing. 

Save a backup, then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. Try adding the accounts that appeared to be affected by the issue from your original file into your test file by navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. I am curious if you notice that tags are appearing normally in the register after you are able to download transactions in the test file.

I look forward to hearing about any of the results you may have noticed. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    I started to do this but I assign tags manually for each transaction, so starting over to see how the tags appear in the new set-up doesn't seem relevant to what happened to my historical transactions or the change to my tag list in the original file.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    CTTiger said:
    I started to do this but I assign tags manually for each transaction, so starting over to see how the tags appear in the new set-up doesn't seem relevant to what happened to my historical transactions or the change to my tag list in the original file.
    Hello @CTTiger

Thanks for getting back to me and keeping in communications about this. 

Regarding the issue with missing tags, this issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

(CTP-4069)

With respect to the matter concerning hanging and difficulty with updating accounts: if this continues, one other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward. 

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

• Navigate to File
    • Select Copy or Backup File...
    • Select Create a copy or template
    • Click Next 
    • Select a file location on your computer
    • Click Save Copy
    • Select New Copy
    • Click OK

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CTTiger
    CTTiger Member
    Options
    “Regarding the issue with missing tags, this issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.”

Thanks Jared for letting me know that your team is on it. Please pass along that what we see today is that the tag list is incomplete, but also that ALL of the individual tags within each transaction are missing, even for tags that are in the incomplete tag list. Could you help me to understand how that team will be able to reinstate/restore the historical transaction level tags that have been entered for years in our use of Quicken. (circa 1996) And what happens if I continue entering current data from this point forward, what will happen to the data when they reinstate/restore the historical tags? I’m concerned that there will be a data loss of either the historical data (not good at all) or loss of current data I enter from this point until the fix is released.
This discussion has been closed.