Placeholder transactions on bond sales; portfolio value graph goes crazy

Options
DLPinCA
DLPinCA Member
I have an IRA account at Fidelity that includes some US Treasury bonds. When those bonds mature, Fidelity reports the sale. For some reason, Quicken then creates a placeholder transaction in the account, dated one day before any other transactions in that account. However the total account balance is correctly maintained -- except in the graph that's displayed in the Portfolio view. The graph shows the account balance jumps up magically during the time that the bond was held in the account -- by a factor of roughly 10 times the face value of the bond. When the bond matures, the graph drops back to where it should be. This only happens when the bond matures - during the time the bond is held in the account, the portfolio graph stays where it should be. The jump in the graph is created when the bond matures and the placeholder transaction is created.

I can delete the placeholder transaction, but this results in the account value being adjusted downwards by the same amount that it jumped up, resulting in a negative account balance. I can also drag the placeholder transaction to the actual bond sale transaction in the transactions view, and Quicken will merge the two, but the account balance again drops precipitously.

As far as I can tell the placeholder transaction is completely gratuitous. The bond purchase and sale transactions are correctly shown in the transaction list. But I cannot get rid of the placeholders without clobbering the account balance. What's going on with this?
This discussion has been closed.