Golden 1 Credit Union daily 2-step authentication required for One-Step Update [OSU]

RSM2000
RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken Deluxe for Windows annual subscription, latest build R42.21. 

I do one step update on a daily basis, and have noticed that Golden 1 is asking for a text code to my cell phone EVERY DAY prior to downloading my transactions.  This is super inconvenient and annoying.  I could understand maybe once every 30 days, or a requirement if I was coming in on a different IP address to protect me from hacking.  However they are dinging me daily with same computer and Internet connection (desktop).  I had hoped that the conversion to the new connection method implemented by Quicken might remove this issue, but even after installing R42.21 today and totally deactivating online download for all my Golden 1 accounts then rediscovering them (and yes, I was asked for Text codes to 'find' the accounts and  yet another text-code to "link" them to existing Quicken accounts (UGH).  I surmise the issue may yet remain.  I will sign on tomorrow for the latest OSU transaction downloads and report back.  Golden 1 support says the codes should only be required when adding accounts to Quicken.  Of course there is a possibility that the CSR may have misspoken when telling me that.  I love Quicken and can't imagine using any other fin software.  The '2-step authentication code' is not desirable IMHO.

Following the deactivation sequence which included removing the institution name and account number and closing Quicken before reopening and then rediscovering all my Golden 1 accounts, I ran the Validation and repair and most all of the Golden 1 accounts showed 'repaired no action on your part required'.  This mystifies me, as I have performed validation on this file earlier today when I started trying to solve this same issue which has gone on for several days in a row.  I don't know if the validation is 'repairing' something it shouldn't, as I am not privy to the code that is driving this software.  

Comments

• bthrock
    bthrock Windows Beta Beta
    This began happening with my accounts at Golden 1 two or three days ago as well.

In reviewing at the website, there were no new messages, menu options, or anything available within the security options to change.  In fact, under Connected Apps it states: "You have no approved connected apps or any awaiting authorization. If you would like to connect an app to your accounts, you must start by sending a connection request in the app you wish to connect."

I do not know if Quicken appeared in this list previously, although Golden 1 has always been aware that I have a connected app as they contacted me in April to ensure that I moved to Express Web Connect, which I did.

Going to Online Services and resetting the account appears to have fixed this issue this morning at least, but I'll be watching it closely for the next several days.  Note that even after the reset, the website does not list any "connected apps." 

• bthrock
    bthrock Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 2022
    Those instructions were for Quicken Mac and were therefore useless to me.  But reading through the above, it's clear that the problem isn't on the user end of the equation. Something has changed between Quicken and Golden 1 (again). 

The reset I did yesterday that seemed to work, didn't stick. So ....

(Edit: Oops, originally posted in Mac discussion. Thanks for moving this. )

[Split and Merged Post]
  • mabrent
    mabrent Member ✭✭
    This is also stalling scheduled updates. If you don't put in the code in a timely manner, like right away when the update first pops up the request, it doesn't matter if you request a code. One is not sent.
  • mabrent
    mabrent Member ✭✭
    Forgot to mention, this also doesn't show up as an error in the One Step Update Summary
  • Boobndoob
    Boobndoob Member ✭✭
    The Golden 1 told me this is because of a change that they implemented requiring MFA for 3rd party access from applications, including Quicken, Mint, Intuit, etc. Not sure why one isn't allowed to set Quicken as a trusted application when accessed through a known computer. That response doesn't give me much hope that this issue will be resolved anytime soon, if at all
  • Boobndoob
    Boobndoob Member ✭✭
    Note that a ticket has been opened by Quicken to investigate this: #9628760/CTP-4150. Also, Chase has implemented a new procedure whereby the Quicken application directs the user to an online form granting Quicken authorization to access the user's accounts. Golden 1 could easily incorporate a system such as this
This discussion has been closed.