Check pay - cannot add an account & other issues

Options
whodiini
whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
I opened a new checking account and want to replace a manual bill check pay using another account with this one. So first I try to enable check pay with this account. I go to bills and income tab, under settings I go to payment accounts, select the account and click enable button. I get an error "Could not set up account for Check Pay". I also have tried to follow the video help instructions. Under the second drop down menu, the selection is All bills, payable items, online bills, manual bills, but no Check pay as the video shows. I am on R42.21. Troubleshooting steps I have taken to no avail - validate file, complete delete and reinstall quicken, review and repair payment accounts. I deleted a current check pay enabled account which works, and cannot enable Check Pay with that same account anymore - same error. I also tried the whole day and it didnt work. Is adding check pay acccount broken in Quicken?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whodiini said:
    I opened a new checking account and want to replace a manual bill check pay using another account with this one. So first I try to enable check pay with this account. I go to bills and income tab, under settings I go to payment accounts, select the account and click enable button. I get an error "Could not set up account for Check Pay". I also have tried to follow the video help instructions. Under the second drop down menu, the selection is All bills, payable items, online bills, manual bills, but no Check pay as the video shows. I am on R42.21. Troubleshooting steps I have taken to no avail - validate file, complete delete and reinstall quicken, review and repair payment accounts. I deleted a current check pay enabled account which works, and cannot enable Check Pay with that same account anymore - same error. I also tried the whole day and it didnt work. Is adding check pay acccount broken in Quicken?
    Hello @whodiini,  

I am sorry to hear about this unusual issue with check pay accounts being disabled. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. I want to know what happens when you try to set up a Check Pay account after you create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then try and add one of your accounts by clicking the Add Account button, denoted by the '+' symbol, in the upper menu at the top left-hand corner of the screen, and you may attempt to set up Check Pay as you normally would. I am curious if these issues with the same error message regarding Check Pay emerge in the test data file.

I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • whodiini
    Options
    I did as you asked. I set up a brand new account. added just 3 accounts, same institution. Added a biller. Could not enable check pay, same error. No check pay in second drop down menu, Just to eliminate the institution as the issue, I added an account at a different bank. same error. The problem is in Quicken. You should try it on your end with the latest version of Quicken.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    whodiini said:
    I did as you asked. I set up a brand new account. added just 3 accounts, same institution. Added a biller. Could not enable check pay, same error. No check pay in second drop down menu, Just to eliminate the institution as the issue, I added an account at a different bank. same error. The problem is in Quicken. You should try it on your end with the latest version of Quicken.
    Hello @whodiini,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue continuing. I appreciate that you took the time to reach out to Quicken Community. 

Given the ongoing nature of the problem, and the number of steps already taken, I recommend reaching out to Quicken Support using the link provided here. They have resources that will enable them to troubleshoot and diagnose this issue in greater detail.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns you may have. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • whodiini
    Options
    I called the support line. After explaining in detail, the person said that check pay doesnt work on more than one file. So the suggestion you made he said was guaranteed not to work. The support person could not provide any suggestions other than wait 24 hours and try again. So that was not helpful. I think someone at Quicken should test this out on their end to see if enabling a new check pay works.

I will try installing an older version of Quicken where it worked before no problems,
  • Quicken Jared
    edited August 2022
    Options
    whodiini said:
    I called the support line. After explaining in detail, the person said that check pay doesnt work on more than one file. So the suggestion you made he said was guaranteed not to work. The support person could not provide any suggestions other than wait 24 hours and try again. So that was not helpful. I think someone at Quicken should test this out on their end to see if enabling a new check pay works.

I will try installing an older version of Quicken where it worked before no problems,
    Hello @whodiini,    

I am sorry to hear that this issue is ongoing. Thanks for getting back to me about this.

If you can, let us know if this issue persists after a 24-hour period has passed.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • whodiini
    Options
    So I decided that the issue was probably with Quicken and ran a test. I wiped Quicken and reinstalled R41.10, which was the last stable version of Quicken. First did review and repair to sync quicken with the server. Went to payment accounts and tried to add the account that previously failed to add. It worked! It popped up the window that said Begin Verification. (To put small amount of deposit to verify). The verify failed, but I suspect it was because I tried too many times today. The begin verification had never shown up previously the last attempts. I will try to verify tommorrow. I am sticking with R41.10 for a while. It has far fewer issues than the releases afterwards.
  • whodiini
    Options
    Quicken is enormously complex. I cannot believe that these near daily releases have been tested in depth. One change breaks something else. So trying to figure out which release is more stable than others is a challenge. It is also enormously time consuming for the user (me) to debug.
  • whodiini
    Options
    I went on Quicken again today, verified everything in bills and income, corrected some issues to sync with the server.  Then adding the account again and verify popped up, begin verification worked and now all works.  So the issue I conclude is that R41.10 is the most stable version that works. Problem solved.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    whodiini said:
    I went on Quicken again today, verified everything in bills and income, corrected some issues to sync with the server.  Then adding the account again and verify popped up, begin verification worked and now all works.  So the issue I conclude is that R41.10 is the most stable version that works. Problem solved.
    Hello @whodiini,   

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know about your path to a resolution. I am happy to hear that the issue seems to be resolved.

Feel free to reach out again anytime with additional questions or concerns. 

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • whodiini
    Options
    I had to restore from backup, and then experienced the same problem as before.  This time nothing has worked to get bill pay working, including calling Quicken support.  They suggested to start with a new account.   In searching the web for solution, I discovered, much to my dismay that this was a known problem that Quicken is aware of. Imaging my surprise to find out that no one at Quicken knows about this known issue that has not been resolved:

• nstevens
    nstevens Member ✭✭
    Options
    Had same problem. Spent 6 hours on phone with quicken support. They escalated problem. Still no help. Still get same message you describe can not set up check pay. Quick support no help at all. Have resorted to paying bills that are not electronic with my banks bill pay system.
  • whodiini
    Options
    Every time Quicken releases a new version, I test it out and so far, get the same error "Could not set up account with check pay" when I press enable (account) in bill manager. I have 2 online billers enabled, which I am told one is required for check pay to work.  I suspect it is an issue with quicken because the error message comes back so quickly that I doubt it has gone online.
This discussion has been closed.