Cannot Install Quicken 2016 on new Windows 11 Computer

Options
GilYoder
GilYoder Member
I just bought a new Windows 11 computer for my wife, but when I tried to install Quicken Deluxe 2016, I ran into a snag. The installer causes the UAC prompt, but the setup.exe process just runs in the background, and a window never opens. The process takes up all of the time of one CPU too.

With Sysinternal's process monitor, I could see that it appears that the setup runs for a couple of minutes, accessing files and registry keys and searches for msiexec.exe. Still, it doesn't seem to be doing anything else, even though it's clocking CPU time.

msiexec.exe never starts during the process!

HP wasn't much help fixing the problem. They said this was a "software" issue, and my purchase didn't include software support. They wanted $50 to provide one-time software support for the problem or a subscription that costs $120 per year. I'm not going to pay for support for a brand new computer for something that should work out of the box.

The event logs of the computer don't help either. No error messages appear that seem to be related to the problem.

I've tried everything I could to resolve the issue: turning off anti-virus software and reinstalling the OS. But nothing helps.

I could use some good advice about now.

Comments

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read that you reinstalled the OS which should've resolved the issue.  There was a Windows patch (a KB from May 10th I think) that caused issues for various programs and the solution was to re-enable ".NET Framework 3.5" (within "Turn Windows features on or off").  Of course the subsequent Windows patches took care of that.  You may want to try that.  Just a suggestion.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• GilYoder
    GilYoder Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I enabled *.NET 3.5 and forced a Windows Update. Then I reset the computer and tested the installation. No joy.

I am starting to think that the OS install is flakey. Even though I reinstalled the OS, all I did was restart the OS initialization that the computer first ran when I turned it on. If the underlying install was bad, I doubt what I did would have corrected it.

I know that Microsoft Teams was flakey in the install. I got it to reinstall successfully by deleting its files in c:\Program Files, but I don't know how to effect the same change in the OS without the install disks.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I purchase a new system, I always reformat and reinstall it from scratch using the Windows media creation tool to ensure I have a clean vanilla system and no bloatware from the manufacturer.  I am not suggesting that the OS is your issue - only you can determine that.  Good luck to you and sorry I could not help.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• GilYoder
    GilYoder Member
    Options
    I just heard about the Windows Creation Tool. I will give it a look.

I'm now trying another reset using downloaded files rather than what's on the drive. This will keep the HP stuff on the drive and may correct something that's buggy on the drive.

I'm a little reluctant to put a vanilla system on because that probably would make it impossible to return if I decide to do that.
This discussion has been closed.