Recent update in EWC memo processing?

Options
SomebodyInGNV
SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
With no change on my part, it seems that EWC transactions now download the payee name as the memo. It used to include other info. It was often useless but, whatever the case, seems to have changed. Am I misremembering? Or did it actually change?
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More details and examples, please.
    Did your bank recently change the layout of their webpages containing transaction detail?
    EWC uses a scripted process to "scrape" text off the webpages to prepare downloadable transactions. A change not coordinated with Intuit may cause all sorts of problems.
    However, both the Downloaded Payee Name and Downloaded Memo fields are used to determine what the payee name should be. A new or updated Renaming Rule may be needed to get acceptable results.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The banks didn't change, to my knowledge, but I'm aware of the sensitivity of screen scraping to those changes. And, if I recall correctly, it affected multiple banks (BofA, Citi and Chase) at the same time.

Now I have no evidence. I changed registers to display the downloaded memos, but they're blank. They didn't display that way in the list of downloaded transactions before accepting. Maybe Quicken was simply duplicating the payee name in the memo?

This didn't affect investment accounts which pretty much universally use direct connect.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Recommend that you set your banking accounts to NOT automatically accept downloaded transactions.
    Manually review each downloaded transaction and the new register transaction that is about to be created. Change the Payee Name and Category to what you need it to be before you click to Accept the downloaded transaction. Quicken should remember the changes you made for the next time this transaction comes along again.
  • SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't automatically accept downloaded transactions and never have, in all the time I've used automated software (MYM->MS Money->Quicken). My original comment is an observation that the content of the downloaded data has changed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't automatically accept downloaded transactions and never have, in all the time I've used automated software (MYM->MS Money->Quicken). My original comment is an observation that the content of the downloaded data has changed.
    OK. So something has changed. We'll never be able to figure out who changed what when and where. There are too many monkey wrenches being thrown in this area, by too many players.
    All I'm saying is, if your transactions aren't created correctly, put your hands on the steering wheel and help the Quicken Autopilot overcome the problem by adding or changing a Renaming Rule. Assuming, of course, that all your preference settings related to downloading and accepting are enabled correctly.

This discussion has been closed.