Can the Account balance at the top be changed? (Q Mac)

Options
eakinm2
eakinm2 Member
Account online balance for IRA (Merrill) showing in Quicken Mac is $150,000 off. Can it be changed ?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can't just change the balance, but you can do things to change the balance. The first thing to do is to find the source of the problem. Look at your IRA account in Quicken compared to the Merrill web site. Can you identify a security (or securities) which shows in Quicken with the wrong value, and then whether it's due to a wrong price or a wrong number of shares. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • eakinm2
    eakinm2 Member
    Options
    Too many transactions to do that - at least for me. I was looking for an easier way such as entering a faux transaction of some kind.
    Thanks for trying to help though. DVE
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You definitely can enter an adjustment transaction. But you still need to understand first which security is different. Are you saying you have dozens or hundreds of securities in your IRA account, and it's too much work to compare between the brokerage and Quicken? (I'm not saying to review every transaction; I'm saying to click on this account in the left sidebar, click on the Portfolio tab, and set the filters to "Portfolio Value" and "By Security". I'd also suggest setting the As Of date to the end of the prior month, and comparing to your Merrill statement as of the end of the prior month. Even if you have a few dozen securities, it shouldn't take long to see if lots of them are off or just one or a few. And for the one(s) that are off, is it the number of shares or the price? This should only take a few minutes. Depending on what you find, then we could discuss the best way to either find and fix the problem or make an adjustment to get the balance correct. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • eakinm2
    eakinm2 Member
    Options
    I will get on it tomorrow - going to dinner
This discussion has been closed.