Starting Fresh - create a new file or modify existing

Options
Dandelion
Dandelion Member
Greetings,
I had been using Quicken but last year got so tired of fighting the bugs, I gave up.
'course they had no problem automatically renewing it, so I'm going to give it another shot.

->What's the best way to "start fresh"? <-
If I create a new file, I have to re-enter all of my account information. Can I export/import that? I was using the auto-updates to get my transactions so had that all set up.
If I create a copy (which I tried) and then deleted all the transactions, I don't have an opening balance per se.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    your old Quicken QDF data file can be opened and read by any recent version of Quicken...
    so, no need to "start over" -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Isabel Hodge
    Options
    I accidently pressed delete when entering a price in my Investing function and now can't enter any prices
  • Dandelion
    Dandelion Member
    Options
    I WANT to start over. I want to start fresh
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @Dandelion

I am not sure that this is exactly what you want to do, but I do think it is the closest thing to what you want to do.  This LINK has instructions on archiving your Quicken datafile, which might workout to be what you are trying to do - i.e. a "fresh start".

Take a look and get beck to us with any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dandelion said: I WANT to start over. I want to start fresh
    Well - if that's what you want...
    Quicken is like MS Word - and all your data is in a data file - MS Word uses DOC files - and Quicken uses QDF files.
    So, just create a brand new empty Quicken QDF file -
    and you still have your other QDF file intact to play with if you want.
    Quicken menu --> File --> New Quicken File  (1st entry)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.