The 'Shares Held' on the Security Detail View doesn't agree with share bought, sold, added & splits

AusSn
AusSn Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Investing (Windows)
How do I get the Shares Held to agree with the actual transaction history data? The only solution offered by Q support was to restore a backup before the issue started. I don't know when it started or even if the data ever was correct. All affected accounts show the correct share balance as do all reports. Only the security detail view shows an incorrect share balance which also screws up all related data... market value, cost basis, etc.

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Only the security detail view shows an incorrect share balance which also screws up all related data... market value, cost basis, etc.
    My suspicion in that case is that there is a hidden or separate account that accounts for the share difference (as @Ps56k2 suggests).  Those accounts would (I believe) be included in the Security Detail view but would not normally be in the reports or portfolio views.  Possibly there could be an issue with closed accounts, but that would seem less likely. 

Is the share count in the Security Detail view higher than the reports you cite, suggesting shares in other accounts?  
  • AusSn
    AusSn Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > So… what was the issue ?

An old hidden account that still had a share balance.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the Account Register of each investment account -
    click the "gear" in upper right corner --> click Reconcile SHARES.... are they ok in each account ?
    If you are looking at the Security Detail - that is listing the shares held across ALL accounts.
    ie - I have AAPL in a couple different brokerage accounts, along with a "separate" account in the Quicken Account List -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Only the security detail view shows an incorrect share balance which also screws up all related data... market value, cost basis, etc.
    My suspicion in that case is that there is a hidden or separate account that accounts for the share difference (as @Ps56k2 suggests).  Those accounts would (I believe) be included in the Security Detail view but would not normally be in the reports or portfolio views.  Possibly there could be an issue with closed accounts, but that would seem less likely. 

Is the share count in the Security Detail view higher than the reports you cite, suggesting shares in other accounts?  
  • AusSn
    AusSn Member ✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AusSn said:  Thanks.
    So… what was the issue ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• AusSn
    AusSn Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > So… what was the issue ?

An old hidden account that still had a share balance.
This discussion has been closed.