discover oddity

Options
BernieC
BernieC Member ✭✭
I just tried to download transactions from Discover and it doesn't happen.. Very odd. The progress box say "Processing data" and then.. nothing.. No error no transactions, no nothing. I just checked on the Discover website and there are plenty of transactions to download. I'm running QDeluxe R42.21 and discover is set for express web connect.

Since "nothing" happens - no error no notifications nothing to see in its download window, I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on [nor to fix it]

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BernieC said:
    I just tried to download transactions from Discover and it doesn't happen.. Very odd. The progress box say "Processing data" and then.. nothing.. No error no transactions, no nothing. I just checked on the Discover website and there are plenty of transactions to download. I'm running QDeluxe R42.21 and discover is set for express web connect.

Since "nothing" happens - no error no notifications nothing to see in its download window, I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on [nor to fix it]
    Hello @BernieC,

I am sorry to hear about this problem with transactions failing to download. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, are you currently making use of any Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), antivirus software, pop-up blockers, or new firewall settings? It may be necessary to remove these in order to troubleshoot this issue further, as they can occasionally cause connectivity issues that result in symptoms of the kind you are describing. 

Also, be sure to clear any possible filters that may be hiding the transactions by searching for a green Reset button just above the register(s) of the affected account(s). Clicking this may reveal recent transactions that are not displayed. 

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've changed nothing on my system. no vpns or anthing like that. No filters and no hidden transactions. So I did some more testing today. I fired up quicken and went to the discover account and did an "update transactions". And I noticed something right away: it didn't ask me to open my password vault. It had the little and that told me it was using "Express web connect". so I looked at the logs. There were *NO* entries for today in the OFX log [the last entry was from yesterday]. IN fact there are no OFX entries for Discover for the last week [I've run Quicken three times in that time] And when I looked at the Conlog there are no Discover entries since *may* , which is odd because the Discover account has _just_ stopped downloading transactions.

I clearly don't understand how express web connect works :smiley:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Express Web Connect stores your bank password at a Quicken server instead of the Password Vault. The same server goes out to collect new transactions daily and stores them until you run your next OSU
    You should see a golden key in One Step Update Settings and a few other places, indicating the new password location.
    Therefore "Update Now" from the account register should not ask for the Password Vault password.
    If you do more than one OSU or Update Now per Quicken session, at most there should be one prompt for the Password Vault password.

Missing Some Transactions When Downloading From Bank?

Please read and try this:

https://www.quicken.com/support/missing-some-transactions-when-downloading-bank

If that doesn't help solve the problem, please tell us more about your issue and how you're processing downloaded transactions. Do you auto-accept, "accept all" or manually review and accept each one of the downloaded transactions?

Quicken Says There Are Transactions to Accept But Do Not See Any

Please read and try this:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7679372/faq-quicken-windows-2018-red-flag-but-no-transactions-to-review-bug

• BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Interesting. It looks like I'm trapped with this: "Some banks only allow downloads to Quicken after the statement closing date, meaning that you won't see new transactions in Quicken until the statement closes. " I don't know how to tell but that seems to be the situation with Discover. Which is really awful. I *rely* on getting my transactions promptly for two reasons: so I can spot bogus transactions quickly and also so I remember what the transaction was {what did I buy from Lowe's three weeks ago?? who can remember}.

I guess that's the new world and I suspect that when Chase switches over to express web connect it'll be the same. so instead of examining [and accepting -- I do each individually] five or six transactions every few days, I'll get a $%@#$%@$% 100 or more at statement-time. UGH! But thanks for clearing up what is likely going on. The website claims that my statement date is coming up, so I'll get to see if I get a month's worth of transactions in one mouthful when the magic date comes by.

Thanks for the info! If you don't hear from me again that means that I got my transactions, at last. If the statement date goes by and no downloads I'll check back. thanks again!!
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm not seeing this problem with Discover. Transactions are downloaded to Quicken on the day they're posted. Quicken Deluxe R42.21.

• cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BernieC said:
    I've changed nothing on my system. no vpns or anthing like that. No filters and no hidden transactions. So I did some more testing today. I fired up quicken and went to the discover account and did an "update transactions". And I noticed something right away: it didn't ask me to open my password vault. It had the little and that told me it was using "Express web connect". so I looked at the logs. There were *NO* entries for today in the OFX log [the last entry was from yesterday]. IN fact there are no OFX entries for Discover for the last week [I've run Quicken three times in that time] And when I looked at the Conlog there are no Discover entries since *may* , which is odd because the Discover account has _just_ stopped downloading transactions.

I clearly don't understand how express web connect works :smiley:" alt=":smiley:" height="20" />

My Discover account updates when new transactions are posted.  As a test, create a completely new data file and create just the Discover credit card account.  Try updating.  If transactions are downloaded that would imply it is something with your current data file.  Have you tried deactivating the online services for your Discover account and then re-activating it?  If that doesn't help try using the Validate and Repair function.  Finally, you can try "Super Validation" (search this forum for instructions on how to activate this).
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What has not been mentioned is that Discover supports "Direct Connect" (DC) method which is a superior connection compared to Express Web Connect (EWC).  I suggest that you switch to DC.  Go to the Account Details > Online Services tab > and in there should say something like your institution supports an improved connect method ...
    Alternatively you can deactivate it and during the reactivation process, select the "Advanced Options" link > DC.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• BernieC
    BernieC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Fixed!!! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I tried validate and it found no problems, and still no transactions. SO... I deactived and reactived the Discover account and it downloaded transactions for "the last 18 days" -- I won't know until I get my statement if that is all of the skipped transactions, but I bet it is. So it is OK now. It _looks_ like when it transitions from direct to express web it somehow got bollixed up. ... So I'll keep an eye out for a similar problem when Chase switches over. thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.