Files not loading after upgrade; can't find recent backup

Dina13
Dina13 Member
While I was traveling last week, Quicken apparently sent an update. Since that happened, I haven't been able to open my existing Quicken data, and the only backup I can find is also empty - even though the "date modified" for that file is prior to my trip/the update.

Just trying to figure out how to access my financial records.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Dina13 said:
    While I was traveling last week, Quicken apparently sent an update. Since that happened, I haven't been able to open my existing Quicken data, and the only backup I can find is also empty - even though the "date modified" for that file is prior to my trip/the update.

Just trying to figure out how to access my financial records.
    Hello @Dina13,    

I am sorry to hear about this problem with tracking down your files, and with opening your active data file. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, have you tried uninstalling the Quicken program (note that this will not affect your data) using the steps listed in this Support Article, then removing Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder? You may then reinstall the Quicken program using the steps listed here.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Dina13
    Dina13 Member
    Yes, I have uninstalled & reinstalled. Still takes me to the "add accounts" page instead of displaying my existing records.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited September 2022
    Dina13 said:
    Yes, I have uninstalled & reinstalled. Still takes me to the "add accounts" page instead of displaying my existing records.
    Hello @Dina13

I am sorry to hear about this problem continuing even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Thank you for keeping in communications with me about this matter.

The following procedures would be our next step in this situation: 

1. hold Ctrl + Shift on your keyboard and double-click the Quicken icon.
      • Note: You will need to continue to hold Ctrl + Shift until Quicken opens with a blank screen.
    2. If this occurs, there may be an issue with the data file that's keeping Quicken from opening properly. Follow these steps to Restore a backup file.
    3. Save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen
    4. Then, Validate the restored backup file by going to File > Validate and Repair File.
    5. Check Validate file and click OK.

You can read more about the recommendations above in the Support Article linked here.

I am eager to hear about how this works.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • Dina13
    Dina13 Member
    I've tried this off & on for the last few weeks, while dealing with time-consuming IRL matters.

These steps aren't working. For one thing, I'm getting an error message: "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator.'" I am the Administrator on my computer, and am logged in as myself.

When I try to restore the earliest backup I can find (8-14-22), it's also empty.

Note: I am able to access current and historical content via Quicken Mobile, but not from the app installed on my laptop.
  • Quicken Jared
    Dina13 said:
    I've tried this off & on for the last few weeks, while dealing with time-consuming IRL matters.

These steps aren't working. For one thing, I'm getting an error message: "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator.'" I am the Administrator on my computer, and am logged in as myself.

When I try to restore the earliest backup I can find (8-14-22), it's also empty.

Note: I am able to access current and historical content via Quicken Mobile, but not from the app installed on my laptop.
    Hello @Dina13,       

I am sorry that this issue is continuing, but thank you for getting back to me about this. 

It seems as though permission settings may have been affected by a recent change which is affecting how you access your Applications, including Quicken. Try right-clicking on the Quicken icon on the desktop and select "Properties" from the menu.

In the Properties window, select the Security tab, and verify which permissions show as enabled for your windows user profile.

If none of the permissions are set for "Allow", I would recommend signing into Windows under the Administrator profile and modifying the permission settings for your personal Windows profile to allow full control.

if you aren't sure how to modify the permission settings, I would recommend contacting Microsoft for assistance.

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to any further correspondence you can provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.