Changing to Web Connect from Direct Connect

Options
bhata
bhata Member ✭✭
I have two different Quicken files both with checking accounts from same bank. I have been downloading via Direct Connect for many years but recently stopped updating.

On one Quicken file, under Online Services, below the Online Setup, Deactivate/Reset options, it showed the message "Your Financial Institution supports an improved connection Method. Click here ... to set up", along with "Connection Method: Web Connect". I clicked and it successfully switched to Web Connect and now updates.

However, for my second Quicken file, it does not show the Web Connect option. Below the Online Setup, Deactivate/Reset options, it has "Online bill payment" setup options. This has been there before but I have never used the online Bank Bill Pay.

Any ideas on what I can do to switch from the Direct Connect to Web Connect?

TIA

Comments

• bhata
    bhata Member ✭✭
    Options
    I found a solution!
    (1) Deactivate the account
    (2) "Add Account"
    (3) Select appropriate "Bank - WEB"
    (4) Enter login info
    (5) List of accounts with option to "Add new account" or to "Link to existing account"
    (6) Link to existing account that was previously deactivated
    (7) Transactions are downloaded, some already matched
    (8) Delete those transactions that were previously matched
    Done!

One fix I had to do was that the Opening Balance was different (I've seen this before).
    I got the correct number from the original Quicken file, and *now* everything is correct (I hope). :)
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    If your 2 different data files have ever had a common file as their origin file, they can exhibit strange behavior if they ever get switched to the EWC download method because both files are linked to the same cloud file. This happens whether or not cloud sync is enabled. The issue you describe is consistent with this having happened. Accounts using direct connect mostly avoid the issue because no cloud file is involved in that process. In time as Quicken and banks move away from direct connect and towards EWC+, you will see this behavior again. 

Recently, Quicken added a process in the Copy routine that gives the user an option to create a new cloud file for the copy. The copy file would then avoid the behavior associated with copies' entangled cloud files.
  • bhata
    bhata Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @markus1957 said:
    > If your 2 different data files have ever had a common file as their origin file, they can exhibit strange behavior if they ever get switched to the EWC download method because both files are linked to the same cloud file. This happens whether or not cloud sync is enabled. The issue you describe is consistent with this having happened. Accounts using direct connect mostly avoid the issue because no cloud file is involved in that process. In time as Quicken and banks move away from direct connect and towards EWC+, you will see this behavior again. 
    >
    > Recently, Quicken added a process in the Copy routine that gives the user an option to create a new cloud file for the copy. The copy file would then avoid the behavior associated with copies' entangled cloud files.

Hi Marcus,
    Though I'm not sure what you mean by "cloud file", the two Quicken files are in different directories, plus it was previously setup with Direct Connect. I think the downloading stopped because they are now charging $8/month when previously it was free.
    I'm not sure I like the EWC+ system as my Chase account is suppose to transition to it in the near future. If I understand correctly, the transactions are being passed from Chase to Quicken and then to me. If this the new process, I don't like the fact that it's going through Quicken. Harumph....
This discussion has been closed.