How do I copy the categories over to a new CC account?

Options
gcampbell
gcampbell Member
I had to have my credit card replaced. I use One Step Update to download from my bank. Once my old CC was closed and a new card issued the info for my old account was downloaded to the new account entry in Quicken. The problem is that the categories are not present in the new account but do show up in the closed old account. How can I repopulate the categories in the new CC account?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing that actually changed is your credit card number. So it's best to keep using the same old Quicken account.

Restore a backup from before you closed the old account. Deactivate the account from download. Erase the account number from the account details. Reconnect the account. 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @gcampbell@,

I believe the easiest way to fix your problem is to connect your old account to the new one.  To do that, you need to take these steps:

1) First - go to the "new CC account" and deactivate downloads by opening the account > clicking on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and selecting "Edit account details" > then click on the "Online Services Tab > then press the "Deactivate" button.  That should disconnect the account for downloads.

2) Next - go to the "old CC account" and click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and select "Edit account details" > in the "General Tab" make sure the Financial Institution is correct, and change the account number to the NEW credit card account number > then click on the "Online Services Tab" and click on "Set up Now"; then respond to any prompts, as necessary.

3) Once these steps are complete, you may need to clean up the transactions to delete duplicates, but you should have a connected account that includes historical data and will download going forward.

Let me know if you have any followup questions or issues.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.