Restoring a backup file causes a CC-800 error and permanently makes the QDF unrepairable

John Nastasi
John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
I had to restore a QDF. This causes all the links between Quicken and the banks to break. It is virtually impossible to fix the file. Multiple discussions with Support did not fix the file. I've tried the deactivation/re-activation process described in the CC-800 fix process without success. 

Don't know what to do now, this is very upsetting. I have over 10 years of data in the data base that I always use as reference. 

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I had to restore a QDF. This causes all the links between Quicken and the banks to break. It is virtually impossible to fix the file. Multiple discussions with Support did not fix the file. I've tried the deactivation/re-activation process described in the CC-800 fix process without success. 

Don't know what to do now, this is very upsetting. I have over 10 years of data in the data base that I always use as reference. 
    Hello @John Nastasi,   

I am sorry to hear about this problem with online connectivity after restoring your data file. Thank you for bringing this matter before the Quicken Community.

First, was there a particular financial institution that you were noticing this CC-800 error message in association with? Also, where is your current active data file located? You can find this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer. Make sure that it is located on your computer, and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior and even data damage. 

I look forward to your response

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    The institutions where this happened are Premier Members Credit Union for checking, savings and Heloc, Citibank for Costco and Sears, Bank of America for Frontier and Synchrony for Amazon and Lowes. 

The data backup is located in the backup directory on the local C: drive. 

I'm using Windows 11. 
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    This is what I get when I do a deactivation, deleting the Institution name and Account number on the General Tab of the Account Details window, reactivating and doing an update.  

Interesting fact, if I create a test file and add the same institutions everything works great with updating the Account, but of course I lose all my old data. Doing a QXF export and import is sketchy at best and messes up all my Financial Investment accounts and looses all  attachments.  

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    This is what I get when I do a deactivation, deleting the Institution name and Account number on the General Tab of the Account Details window, reactivating and doing an update.  

Interesting fact, if I create a test file and add the same institutions everything works great with updating the Account, but of course I lose all my old data. Doing a QXF export and import is sketchy at best and messes up all my Financial Investment accounts and looses all  attachments.  

Hello @John Nastasi,      

I appreciate you taking the time to follow up with me about this, and for letting me know about the results of attempting to connect and update your accounts in a test file. I am sorry that this problem is still ongoing, for the moment.

Have you attempted to validate the original data file? First, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then try proceeding through the steps listed below:

• Navigate to File
      • Select Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I look forward to hearing about how these recommendations work for you. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Yes, I've tried the validate and super validate without any success. Something is not connecting in the original file to the Quicken data download servers that connect fine in a fresh new file. By the way, this happens in a majority of my checking, credit card and Investment accounts. The restore of the backup file caused this problem. 

It appears to me that whatever the connection is between my data file and the quicken servers is broken and creating a new file re-establishes a new connection between my new file and the Quicken servers making bank updates working again. 

Creating a "Copy or template" and using the copies has the same issues.  

All files are kept on the local C: drive. 

It makes me very weary to restore any backup file. 

John
  • Slick8791
    Slick8791 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I'm in the same situation. Had to restore from a backup and now get constant CC-800 on numerous bank accounts including Wells Fargo, Kohls Card, Navy Federal, Macy's and a few others. Resetting sometimes help, but now Quicken thinks Wells Fargo accounts have been deleted and nothing seems to fix the CC-800 (validation, resetting, etc.). Never had this problem before or at least prior to the last Quicken update was rolled out.

Also using Windows 11.

The only thing that seems to work to get rid of the CC-800 is to completely delete the account(s) and then add them back. This is an unacceptable fix for years worth of Wells Fargo data.
  • Papa T
    Papa T Member
    I had this same issue and support was able to get mine working again.
    We did the same steps you are trying and it worked for me.
    Go to Tools-Account List
    on the Account that is causing problems click on Edit
    Online Services Tab Deactivate then go back to the General Tab and delete the account name and number in the boxes and then click ok or leave that
    Then click the + or Add an account
    Go thru the process of adding an account and in the process after it finds your institution click the "Link To Existing" and make sure it is checked on the account in your list

Finish that process
    That worked for me
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    ********** Use this process at your own risk *************************************

This is crazy but here is how I fixed my QDB. For some reason I could add the accounts that were getting the CC800 errors to a test Quicken data base and they would work just fine. That was strange. There appeared to be a disconnect between my Active QDB and the Quicken server.  Yet the same account (checking accounts, credit cards, investment accounts, etc) worked as expect when added to a test data base? I did not want to lose 15+ years of data. So....

Here is what I did, I don't know why I did it but for some reason it worked. 

I had an Oracle Virtual Box VM installed on my Win 11 system with an Apple VM and a Win 11 VM installed. 

I installed a fresh copy of Quicken on the Win11 VM. Then I copied me Active broken Quicken DB to the virtual machine Win 11 VM. 

I then opened the Active Quicken DB in the Win 11VM and re-activated each one of my accounts. 

Miracle of all miracles, everything worked. My VM Quicken DB has been working for the last several weeks without any problems. 

Just a caution though, when you re-activate the accounts, many institutions will re-send a number of historical transactions. Just be sure to delete the duplicate transactions and not add them back into your Active DB. Some institutions (Like my credit union) added an opening balance to the account causing the actual account balance to be off. To fix that problem, I opened my Quicken Data base on my standard desktop and jotted down the opening balance and then Adjusted the VM Quicken DB to balance those accounts. 

This process worked for me. I am now running quicken in my Oracle Virtual Box Win 11 VM. It may work for others.

I may one day, if I have time, copy the VM Quicken DB back to my main Win 11 desktop and see what happens. 

BTW, I really think the Quicken Backup needs to be fixed so that these problems are resolved. I will only use the Quicken Backup for an extreme emergency. I am currently using Windows file copy to create my recoverable backups. 

Full disclosure. I do not work or am I affiliated with Quicken. 

************ Use this process at your own risk ***********************  
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    Papa T, I tried that process with the Quicken rep and it did not work for me. 
  • Slick8791
    Slick8791 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Update: I was able to resolve (I hope) all of my connection issues by creating a file copy (File > Copy or Backup file). I then deleted the broken file and started using the new/copy file. The only cleanup I had to do was reconnect all accounts to their respective banks, but the downloads did work (no CC-800 errors) which is much better than deleting and re-adding them from scratch.
This discussion has been closed.