Question about Quicken, backups and Google Drive

Options
Rob_L
Rob_L Member ✭✭
I'm using the latest version of Quicken for Windows for personal finances on a Windows 11 laptop with a solid state drive. I have Quicken set up to back up my data each time I exit (usually several times a week). We are full-time RVers and rely on a 4G LTE connection for internet. Google Drive backs up all-or-nothing in the main folders, so it copies both the main data file(s) and the backup file to the cloud each time... this takes time with our kind of connection. Would it be safe to not have Quicken do the backup and rely on the Google Drive copy of the main data files were I to need to restore my data? If not, please tell me why and offer an alternative. Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken does not support having your data file on a cloud drive. I would suggest moving your Quicken data file to a non-cloud drive and keep backing up to the Google drive.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The question I have is the way your main data file is backed up to Google drive: Does it get backed up with a different name or date-stamp each time? e.g. DataFile_2022_08-19.QDF, DataFile_2022_08-20.QDF etc?
    If that is the case and if you must save time, then in my opinion you only need one (main) or the other (backup) to be backed up to Google drive.
    Having said that, just what if, the Google drive backup is failing and you don't know about it?  Then you'd have whole bunch of corrupted backups out there.
    So I would encourage you to consider other approaches as well, and by your question I am sure you have already considered these:
    Do your daily [offline] backups to an external drive, and use Google drive as a secondary source where you backup say once a week or whatever works for your situation.  Alternatively modify your "all-or-nothing" strategy so that you back up some folders more/less frequently than the others.  Keep changing the approach to find the right combination of safety vs. time for you - the right balance.  I am an advocate of having more than one backup - I have five including remote offline locations.
    There are many ways to do this to save you time and I am sure you will have other suggestions soon.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Rob_L
    Rob_L Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Quicken does not support having your data file on a cloud drive. I would suggest moving your Quicken data file to a non-cloud drive and keep backing up to the Google drive.

I'm not talking about having my main data file on Google Drive - only the backup(s).
  • Rob_L
    Rob_L Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @BK said:
    > The question I have is the way your main data file is backed up to Google drive: Does it get backed up with a different name or date-stamp each time? e.g. DataFile_2022_08-19.QDF, DataFile_2022_08-20.QDF etc?If that is the case and if you must save time, then in my opinion you only need one (main) or the other (backup) to be backed up to Google drive.Having said that, just what if, the Google drive backup is failing and you don't know about it?  Then you'd have whole bunch of corrupted backups out there.
    > So I would encourage you to consider other approaches as well, and by your question I am sure you have already considered these:Do your daily [offline] backups to an external drive, and use Google drive as a secondary source where you backup say once a week or whatever works for your situation.  Alternatively modify your "all-or-nothing" strategy so that you back up some folders more/less frequently than the others.  Keep changing the approach to find the right combination of safety vs. time for you - the right balance.  I am an advocate of having more than one backup - I have five including remote offline locations.
    > There are many ways to do this to save you time and I am sure you will have other suggestions soon.

The backup files are saved with a date stamp each time - and I have Quicken set up to save (x) number of backups before deleting them (like we used to rotate tapes on the mainframes). The backup to Google Drive has been working well - for both the backup of the main file(s) and the backup files. I have restored from the backups when replacing my computer. Unfortunately, Google Drive does not provide the option of selecting specific folders within the main "Documents" folder. I played around a bit this afternoon and created another folder on c:/ outside the Windows Document folder structure and set Quicken to back up there. When I closed Quicken that time, only the main data files (data and log) were backed up to Google Drive and the dated backup file stayed local in the new folder on c:/. I'll try that for a while and see how it goes... Thanks for your response.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since I have never used Google Drive I am not familiar with its features and limitations.  Seems like you have a very good understanding of backups and you are on the right track to find what works and doesn't.  Cheers and have fun RV'ing.
    Side note outside of this discussion perhaps: Mobile providers have recently introduced wireless Internet in a box with the intention of providing 5G speeds - TBD.  T-Mo and Verizon have them already, can't recall AT&T.  Even home users are beginning to use them and of course fits well in rural areas and RVers - assuming the signal is there where you go.  Something you can look into in the future for improved speeds.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.