One Step Update Credentials

Options
Chuck Cobb
Chuck Cobb Member ✭✭
Somehow my One Step Update Credentials have become corrupted for my primary checking and savings bank. I added a new credit card to that bank with the same credentials as my other checking and savings accounts and since that time, the online credentials in Quicken in all the checking and savings accounts with that bank have gotten corrupted. They now all have a strange user id that I don't even recognize at all.

Is there a way to fix this problem without deactivating and reactivating the online setup for each account? When I try to do that, I get a whole bunch of downloaded transactions that I have to manually resolve in each account. What I would like to be able to do is to change the online credentials for these accounts to the correct credentials in the password vault. I know how to do that to change the password, but I don't know how to do that to change both the user id and password.

Thanks,

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somehow my One Step Update Credentials have become corrupted for my primary checking and savings bank. I added a new credit card to that bank with the same credentials as my other checking and savings accounts and since that time, the online credentials in Quicken in all the checking and savings accounts with that bank have gotten corrupted. They now all have a strange user id that I don't even recognize at all.

Is there a way to fix this problem without deactivating and reactivating the online setup for each account? When I try to do that, I get a whole bunch of downloaded transactions that I have to manually resolve in each account. What I would like to be able to do is to change the online credentials for these accounts to the correct credentials in the password vault. I know how to do that to change the password, but I don't know how to do that to change both the user id and password.

Thanks,
    Hello @Chuck Cobb,     

I am sorry to hear about this problem with updating your account(s). Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community.

First, what financial institution(s) are you noticing this issue with, and did you ever notice any other errors or problems with transaction downloads? Also, are other account details inaccurate or missing, such as the account numbers? Finally, how many accounts are affected, and has this problem spread to other accounts, associated with separate financial institutions?

I look forward to your answers, and hope to provide further recommendations after I hear back from you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chuck Cobb
    Chuck Cobb Member ✭✭
    Options
    The financial institution I’m using is USAA Federal Savings Bank. The new credit card I added has the correct credentials, but all my other USAA are not downloading. I get a “501-A” error when I try to download them.

The only thing that seems to be corrupted is my login ID. It actually lists them as two accounts:

USAA FSB (xxxxx) where “xxxxx” is my correct login user ID and

USAA FSB (yyyyy) where “yyyyy” is some kind of gibberish login user ID that I don’t recognize
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The financial institution I’m using is USAA Federal Savings Bank. The new credit card I added has the correct credentials, but all my other USAA are not downloading. I get a “501-A” error when I try to download them.

The only thing that seems to be corrupted is my login ID. It actually lists them as two accounts:

USAA FSB (xxxxx) where “xxxxx” is my correct login user ID and

USAA FSB (yyyyy) where “yyyyy” is some kind of gibberish login user ID that I don’t recognize
    Hello @Chuck Cobb,      

I am sorry for the confusion caused by the strange user ID. Thanks so much for providing me with more details about this unusual problem with changing account information.

First, there is an Open Alert regarding USAA and account connection errors of this kind that may be related, and I am linking the thread where this is being covered here, for your convenience. On another note, when did the new credit card account get added, initiating these problems? Does the "yyyy" account show a particular connection method when you navigate to Tools > Account List in the upper menu at the top of the screen? This should be listed under the Transaction Downloads column. 

I hope that is helpful, and I am eager to hear more from you about this problem.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chuck Cobb
    Chuck Cobb Member ✭✭
    Options
    The new credit card account was added about a month or two ago, but this problem has only developed in the last week or so. I did notice that the connection method for the new credit card account was “Express web connect” and the other accounts that are no longer updating all have a different method.

Is this a Quicken problem or a USAA problem? What’s the best way to resolve it? When I try to deactivate and reactivate the online services for each account, I get about (50) transactions in each account that are out-of-sycnch with the ones previously downloaded and it takes a huge amount of effort to try to reconcile them.
  • Chuck Cobb
    Chuck Cobb Member ✭✭
    Options
    I reported this problem to USAA yesterday and after some unsuccessful troubleshooting, they escalated it to their engineering organization.

This morning, for some unknown reason, all of my USAA accounts started downloading again.

One thing that is still puzzling me as I have mentioned is that:

- All of my older USAA checking and savings accounts have some kind of cryptic user login ID that I did not assign and they use the “Direct Connect” connection method.

- My credit card account that is only about two months old uses my normal USAA user login ID and uses an “Express Web Connect” connection method.

Is this normal? I’m not sure how these cryptic user login ID’s got assigned and I’m surprised that it works with these user login ID’s that I did not create.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this normal? I’m not sure how these cryptic user login ID’s got assigned and I’m surprised that it works with these user login ID’s that I did not create.
    I don't have USAA accounts, but for my AmEx credit card accounts which also use "Direct connect" as the connection protocol I see the same thing. Quite a few years ago, to help combat hackers, AmEx began to encrypt the card account number as it is stored in Quicken. Their advice was to leave those encrypted numbers unchanged.
    In your case, I'd do the same ... as long as downloading works, don't change it.
    Because your credit card uses Express Web Connect, a different download protocol, different rules apply. But again, as long as it works, I wouldn't change it.
    But if you want to try, see if you can "improve / change the connection method" to change the account to also use Direct connect. There's a clickable link with these words in the credit card account's Edit Account Details view, Online Services tab.

This discussion has been closed.