Chase - should we DEactivate the accounts before attempting reathorize & migration

Options
RRWilli
RRWilli Member ✭✭
Should I deactivate my Chase accounts before I attempt to reathorize the chase accounts?

Answers

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I have attempted to authorize my Chase accounts twice, in 2 days unsuccessfully. I receive the following message when signing into Chase: We'll be back shortly.

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.26. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options
    Hi @gregbrown,

I am sorry for the trouble caused. Please check this alert for more details. We are aware of this issue and we are working on resolving it, although we do not have an eta at this time. Thank you.

Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RRWilli said:
    Should I deactivate my Chase accounts before I attempt to reathorize the chase accounts?

To directly answer your question, YES.  An activated account can not be selected to activate.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wangcj
    wangcj Member ✭✭
    Options
    My Chase account online deactivate for 3 days now and still can't get back on with Chase.
  • jpedi
    jpedi Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I got the popup from Quicken a few days ago to do the conversion I was taken to a blank screen with a Chase logo, nothing else. Now after a Quicken update I do not get the popup but going to the account I deactivated and now trying to set it up Quicken locks up, DOA.
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, we apparently need to deactivate the Chase accounts in order to enable Quicken to link them upon authorization. However, I've been able to activate only one set of Chase accounts so far, for one user, and not any Chase accounts for any other user nor in any other Quicken file (I use two files to manage two households' finances). I get the "We'll be back shortly" outage screen mentioned above. I would suggest a) deactivate all your Chase accounts, b) Attempt once a day (max) to re-register your accounts, and c) if your re-registration fails, do individual web connect downloads from the Chase website until they get this fixed. See the Alert link above. 
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has anyone tried to reactivate their Chase account(s) via Add Account instead of Set Up Now?  I'm curious because I think I had seen a post somewhere that they were only able to reactivate their Chase accounts with EWC+ by doing Add Account instead of Set Up Now.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• wangcj
    wangcj Member ✭✭
    Options
    My Chase Acct still not working for at least 4 days now. I can download from Chase directly with no issue but my balance is screwed.
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've tried it both ways. The problem I'm running into is on the Chase side. 
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Check your Opening Balance record ... opening balance is sometimes modified by switching between OSU and manual downloads. Reset that and your balance may come back into balance.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wangcj said:
    My Chase Acct still not working for at least 4 days now. I can download from Chase directly with no issue but my balance is screwed.
    Check the balance online, you might find that the online balance reported in Quicken is actually correct.

I have a test file that I setup with a couple of my Chase accounts.  What I just got in my checking account (a credit card account is fine) is that it changed the opening balance by the amount of my wife's last paycheck.  This of course made it so that it wouldn't reconcile to the online balance.

Note for others trying to figure out why Quicken is changing the online balance, I have no idea why it did this because it isn't setup for Sync to Mobile/Web, and I didn't reset the account.  I just came in and did a One Step Update.  All the transactions except the opening balance are correct.  The only difference between this test account and my real account is that this one is setup for Express Web Connect +.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • AYoung
    AYoung Member
    Options
    Answering Boatnmaniac's question: Yes, I just deactivated my Chase credit card account in Quicken, then went to "add account" and selected "Chase" which took me to the Chase.com website, requiring me to sign in. It identified my credit card account and then -- very important -- in the dropdown menu make sure you select "link to existing account" and choose your existing Chase account in Quicken. You then have to return to Quicken and you will see (in my case) the last 3 months of transactions downloaded and ready to import. If you've been regularly updating Quicken, them most of those transactions will be duplicates. DON'T accept them. Just delete all the duplicates en masse. Hope this helps.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    OK, so it seems that sometimes Add Account will complete the reactivation process with EWC+ (per @AYoung ) but for others neither Add Account nor Set Up Now were successful in reactivating with EWC+ (per @Bob@45 ).  Sigh.  At least we know that sometimes Add Account will work.
    I have not yet been prompted to do the conversion from DC to EWC+ so I'm watching what is posted pretty closely so I can hopefully complete the conversion without issue....at least I'm hoping.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    wangcj said:
    As others have said, it is very possible that your Opening Balance was changed and needs to be corrected.  If you do not know what the Opening Balance used to be you can get that information by restoring a recent backup file (from before your account balance went bad).  Once you get that information, close the restored backup file and open your main file and make the correction to the Opening Balance.
    If the account still is not in balance after correcting the Opening Balance transaction:
    • Look for a 2nd Opening Balance transaction.  If one is there it will probably be dated from about 90 days before the date you first manually downloaded from Chase but it could be earlier or later than that.  You can sort your register by Payee and then then look for Opening Balance.  If you find that second Opening Balance transaction, delete it.
    • Look for duplicate transactions within the same about 90-days window.  Duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.
    Once any Opening Balance and Duplicate Transactions have been resolved, your account balance should once, again, be accurate.

• Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would guess (until someone can provide more reliable guidance) that a) disconnect all your chase accounts, and then b) use Add Account has a better chance of succeeding. It's just not 100% per my experience. 
    Part of my problem may be that when I had my first success, I linked my primary checking and savings account, and my credit cards, but forgot that I had another checking/savings account for which I'm the Social Security representative payee. So those two accounts did not get linked. I've been trying to link just those two accounts ever since, unsuccessfully, through both Set Up Now and also Add Account. Chase sees all my accounts, these two plus the others, and its progress screens show everything is to be shared with Quicken. It just never passes control back to Quicken. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Bob@45 said:

... but forgot that I had another checking/savings account for which I'm the Social Security representative payee.
    So those two accounts did not get linked. I've been trying to link just those two accounts ever since, unsuccessfully, through both Set Up Now and also Add Account. 
    This announcement might apply to your situation:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917529/chase-users-will-not-be-able-to-add-or-migrate-authorized-user-accounts
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Bob@45 said:
    I would guess (until someone can provide more reliable guidance) that a) disconnect all your chase accounts, and then b) use Add Account has a better chance of succeeding. It's just not 100% per my experience. 
    Part of my problem may be that when I had my first success, I linked my primary checking and savings account, and my credit cards, but forgot that I had another checking/savings account for which I'm the Social Security representative payee. So those two accounts did not get linked. I've been trying to link just those two accounts ever since, unsuccessfully, through both Set Up Now and also Add Account. Chase sees all my accounts, these two plus the others, and its progress screens show everything is to be shared with Quicken. It just never passes control back to Quicken. 
    When you initially got your checking, savings and credit cards accounts set up did you do so with Add Account or with Set Up Now?
    The other savings/checking accounts for which you are the SS representative payee:  Do they have a different Chase login?  If so, I have seen a fair number of people saying that they have been able to complete the conversion setup process only for one Chase login, not for multiple logins.  That to me seems like it may be a separate (but related?) issue from not being able to complete the conversion process at all.

• Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that when I set up the accounts that are working, I did so with Set Up Now. The accounts in question do not have their own (different) Chase login. After setting up my own accounts (credit cards), I did successfully set up my wife's accounts (our joint checking, savings, and her credit cards). So yes, I have two logins operational. 
    In my second Quicken file I have my son's accounts. I have not been able to get his accounts reregistered with Chase no matter what I've tried. 
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Bob@45 said:
    I think that when I set up the accounts that are working, I did so with Set Up Now. The accounts in question do not have their own (different) Chase login. After setting up my own accounts (credit cards), I did successfully set up my wife's accounts (our joint checking, savings, and her credit cards). So yes, I have two logins operational. 
    In my second Quicken file I have my son's accounts. I have not been able to get his accounts reregistered with Chase no matter what I've tried. 
    If you are an authorized user for your son's accounts and for the SS representative accounts then your not being able to get them set up with EWC+ could very well be because of the issue announced in the link that was in @Chris_QPW 's post above from earlier today.

• Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, except I'm not trying to use an authorized user login, but his actual primary login for his accounts. Thanks for pointing that out, but my issue is with the primary user on any/all accounts that I have an issue with. 
  • pghosh97
    pghosh97 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Looks like there hasn't been an update from Quicken Janean or any other Quicken representative on the fix or resolution to this issue since 8/22, nearly a week ago - is that correct, or have I missed something?
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe you are correct, which is disheartening. But on the other hand, I've managed to get all of my Chase accounts registered. Doing one login a day,, making sure that all accounts I needed to add were removed from One Step Update, using the "+" icon on my Accounts bar to "add" all accounts for that login, I was able to get the missing accounts added on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob@45 said:
    I believe you are correct, which is disheartening. But on the other hand, I've managed to get all of my Chase accounts registered. Doing one login a day,, making sure that all accounts I needed to add were removed from One Step Update, using the "+" icon on my Accounts bar to "add" all accounts for that login, I was able to get the missing accounts added on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
    Are you saying that you are removing and adding them each day?

• Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, I had removed them all earlier in the week. Those checking accounts where it was critical to me that I download transactions manually, from the Chase website, I had to remove the OSU connection. But then Thursday I was able to add account group 3 to my Quicken file 1. Friday I added account group 4 to my Quicken file 2. And Saturday I was able to add the final account group 5 to my Quicken file 2. So now all those accounts are up to date. 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob@45 said:
    No, I had removed them all earlier in the week. Those checking accounts where it was critical to me that I download transactions manually, from the Chase website, I had to remove the OSU connection. But then Thursday I was able to add account group 3 to my Quicken file 1. Friday I added account group 4 to my Quicken file 2. And Saturday I was able to add the final account group 5 to my Quicken file 2. So now all those accounts are up to date. 
    So you were just reporting a succession of good results, now I understand that. 

• Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I just was prompted on a daily update that I needed to reauthorize Chase to download credit card data.

After that was successfully done in Chase, it sent me back in Quicken (so this is obviously Quicken's problem to solve) where I was given a chance to link to an existing account or add a new account. Quicken would not let me choose the existing account that I had in Quicken for either Chase credit card so I had to add them as new accounts.

So I now have duplicate accounts with in Quicken. OK.

How do I move all of the old transactions in my original Quicken credit card account into the new one that Chase is now updating daily ? That would then let me have accurate data and I could then delete the old accounts after the transactions were moved..

Thanks
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Gary587
    The flaw in the process that you followed (thru no fault of you) is that the account was still activated for downloads, so Quicken could not offer it as an account for linking.
    De-activate both the old and new accounts and redo the activation again, this time the existing account should be available to link.

• Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    splasher said:
    @Gary587
    The flaw in the process that you followed (thru no fault of you) is that the account was still activated for downloads, so Quicken could not offer it as an account for linking.
    De-activate both the old and new accounts and redo the activation again, this time the existing account should be available to link.
    Quicken should (a) deactivate the account in background if you are setting up this account with the new connection or (b) have a reminder or note to tell you "STOP!  deactivate Chase account connections before you proceed!!"  either way, pretty poor programming on Quicken's part if you are supposed to deactivate before authorizing the new connection. 
This discussion has been closed.