Performance reports--Year To Date Returns

Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Deleted

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Are you referring to the Investment Performance Report and/or the Avg. Annual Return columns in the Portfolio views, or some other measure? The IPR and Avg. Annual returns account correctly for both interest and dividends if you use their default settings.

Dividends and interest received in cash and left in the account are not shown as Returns in the IPR with the default settings, because they are used to "buy" cash in the account on the same day as they are received. They are included in the analysis because they are included in the ending balance. You can them explicitly if you temporarily exclude "No security (includes cash)" from the report.

Remember that these are annualized measures, so a Year to Date report will assume that returns will continue at the same rate for the rest of the year. This may result in larger percentages than you will see reported elsewhere. To see the year to date numbers, set the IPR date range to Annual and Current year, or in the Portfolio views, set the As of date to 12/31. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Deleted
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Deleted
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    I deleted my post this morning.  My Quicken YTD returns do not agree with Fidelity.  I thought it was the interest but I was wrong.  I don't know what it is right now, but each account is off.
    I need some time to troubleshoot the problem
  • Jim_Harman
    Are you referring to the Return YTD column in the Portfolio views, or some other measure? If you are using a report, what is the name of the report? Have you customized it in any way?

What transaction is recorded in Quicken for the interest you received? It should be an Action of IntInc and a Category of _IntInc 

When I enter an IntInc transaction, the interest is included in the Portfolio view Return YTD column.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Yes---I'm referring to to YTD column in the portfolio view.  I also cross reference with the Investment Performance report under Reports and Graphs and they both agree.
    My problem is that Fidelity YTD returns do not agree with Quicken.  I have checked each account separately and several are off.
    I'm checking beginning and ending balances and see if anything stands out.
  • Jim_Harman
    I would guess that Fidelity calculates Returns differently from Quicken, or there is something wrong about how your IntInc transactions are recorded in Quicken.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    JIm--As always, I appreciate your time replying to my issues.  I just got back from the gym and will spend time after lunch with this issue.  However, I have four accounts at Vanguard and did the same YTD comparison and guess what?  Vanguard was in agreement with Quicken.  Obviously, interest was not the issue.  I have to spend time with Fidelity accounts, each one, and try and figure out what's wrong.
  • Jim_Harman
    I will be happy to help after you have done that research. 

To avoid miscommunication when posting, please be sure to use the exact names of the reports and Portfolio view columns you are referring to.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    I went over all my Fidelity accounts and beginning cash balances on 1/1/2022 were off for some accounts.  I made the adjustments to make the beginning and ending cash balances agree with the Fidelity statements.  I had two accounts where the Fidelity statement for August 31 YTD returns did not agree with Fidelity's Performance reports on the same date.  Each account was off by over a $1,000.
    I called Fidelity and the rep. spent some time trying to come up with some explanation.  However, he was just as confused as me and is escalating this to another department.  He said they will call early next week.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Fidelity Manager called me back with explanation.  He said the statement is accurate and the YTD numbers are correct.  However, the Performance tab for each account cannot be relied upon even though it's the same ending date.  Apparently, they use an outside service for the performance window.  Really doesn't make any sense to me, but he said he was a premium service manager and thanked him for his time.
This discussion has been closed.