Problem migrating Chase Account

:s So when migrating my Chase Account i did as instructed and let it link to the existing account in Quicken. Unfortunately it selected the WRONG AMEX account and proceeded to download transactions into it. I was able to delete these but now i cannot assign AMEX back to AMEX. It is locked to Chase. I cannot even turn Decativate online to reset it back to AMEX. What now? TIA.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @GoDucks22

Based on what you are seeing I believe that you should take the following steps:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Use the "Add Account" button to setup a new account;
    3) Open the old account register, and "right-click" on the first transaction in the register - then select the "Move transaction(s)" function to move all of the transactions to the new account;
    4) Re-establish any reminders and memorize payees related to the oud account in the new account;
    5) Next delete the old account;
    6) Connect the new account.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GoDucks22,

If you open up the account register > then click on the "Gear" icon in the upper-right > select "Edit Account Details" > then click the "Online Services" tab > you should see a "Deactivate" button.  Click on that to "unlock" the account from Chase.  Next, correct the data that is on the "General" tab - especially the "Financial Institution" and 'Account Number" fields. 

Then try to re-establish the connection to American Express.

Let me know how this goes or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hey thanks for the reply. If you read my last line above: "It is locked to Chase. I cannot even turn Decativate online to reset it back to AMEX". For some crazy reason Quicken has "locked" the online to Chase. You cannot even deactivate! If you have a Chase account maybe you can see what i mean.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @GoDucks22,

In the "Online Services" tab, for the "Connection Method" - does it indicate "Web Connect" or something else?

Frankx

• So here's the problem - it doesn't. It has a "Set up Now" button and if you press it it automatically tries to connect to Chase. I am a software engineer and it smells to me like Quicken has flagged this as Chase and does an completely different set of logic. I cannot "UN-Chase" it. I'd rather not close the account and open another one but it seems like that is the only solution. I will probably wind up calling them eventually.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @GoDucks22

Based on what you are seeing I believe that you should take the following steps:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Use the "Add Account" button to setup a new account;
    3) Open the old account register, and "right-click" on the first transaction in the register - then select the "Move transaction(s)" function to move all of the transactions to the new account;
    4) Re-establish any reminders and memorize payees related to the oud account in the new account;
    5) Next delete the old account;
    6) Connect the new account.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Thanks for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.