Mutual fund purchase in a manual account showing up with an enormous realized loss

I have an HSA Mutual Fund account that I need to manage manually due to a lack of quicken integration at the institution. For some reason, a purchase of 2.111 shares of VITSX for $200 is showing up with a realized loss that is over $92 quadrillion. If I change VITSX to anything else, it goes away. The only way I've found to work around it is to modify a previous sell transaction so that sells 2.111 fewer shares for $200 less. The end result is correct, but having to do this seems pretty ridiculous. I wish I could post a screenshot to prove that I'm not exaggerating the size of the loss. I'm also unclear as to why a purchase transaction even has an associated loss or gain.

Comments

  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $92 quadrillion symptom is familiar. It indicates data corruption, so first try Validate & Repair. If that fails, search the forum for what worked for others.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • terpsucka2
    terpsucka2 Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > The $92 quadrillion symptom is familiar. It indicates data corruption, so first try Validate & Repair. If that fails, search the forum for what worked for others.

    Thanks for the response!

    I ran a validate, and it somehow found no problems.

    As soon as that was done, I noticed the root of the problem-- a bad daily quote for that particular MF. I was able to replace the bad one (it was something like $100B per share) with a correct one. That fixed it, for now. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a regular occurrence.