A security's Type and Asset Class

pkcouch
pkcouch Member
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Hello,

For federal Thrift Savings Plan investors (works like a 401k), under "Edit Security Details" and for the Security Type, should I select market index or mutual fund? (the TSP C-Fund matches the performance of the S&P 500 index)

For Asset Class, I assume I should set it at Large Cap Stocks?

The goal is to select the right security type and asset class for a TSP fund so that the global view of my portfolio will correctly show an accurate percentage exposure to different asset classes (stocks, bonds, and cash).

The Help file is a little confusing.

Thank you,
pkcouch

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It should be mutual fund.  The market index is only for the actual index. And yes, Large cap stocks is probably what you want.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do not select Market Index.  That is intended only for non-trading measures,  Mutual Fund is the better selection.  

Large Cap is the best single choice.  It tends to run about 80-90% Lg Cap,  You can fill in a mixture if you choose to.   85% Lg, 15% Sml Cap.  or similar

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It should be mutual fund.  The market index is only for the actual index. And yes, Large cap stocks is probably what you want.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do not select Market Index.  That is intended only for non-trading measures,  Mutual Fund is the better selection.  

Large Cap is the best single choice.  It tends to run about 80-90% Lg Cap,  You can fill in a mixture if you choose to.   85% Lg, 15% Sml Cap.  or similar
This discussion has been closed.