Quicken repeatedly closing/opening on its own

Fletch200
Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
This started happening after a recent update. Today I got another update and it still happens. Quick is notoriously slow on my old 8-core Intel i9 with 64Gb RAM, so I'm used to taking a water break when switching from one account to another. Recently though when I do that, the UI starts to flicker and become more unresponsive. As I watch it, after about 20 seconds I can see the icon in the task bar going away and coming back as if Quicken is re-launching on its own. After about a minute of this it stabilizes.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior recently? The unresponsive behavior I've just learned to live with, but the closing/opening worries me.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Fletch200 said:
    This started happening after a recent update. Today I got another update and it still happens. Quick is notoriously slow on my old 8-core Intel i9 with 64Gb RAM, so I'm used to taking a water break when switching from one account to another. Recently though when I do that, the UI starts to flicker and become more unresponsive. As I watch it, after about 20 seconds I can see the icon in the task bar going away and coming back as if Quicken is re-launching on its own. After about a minute of this it stabilizes.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior recently? The unresponsive behavior I've just learned to live with, but the closing/opening worries me.
    Hello @Fletch200,   

I am sorry to hear about this strange User Interface behavior, and issues with unprompted opening and closing of the program. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    That seems to have helped - for some reason. I also cleaned out the appdata\Roaming\Quicken folder. After installation again and loading my existing file, the UI was just messed up - for lack of any better description. It was unresponsive too. After a while I was able to resize the window and turn large fonts back on.

It still runs like a beaten up 50-year old truck and just now when I downloaded from Fidelity, accepted all from one account then clicked the other, it did the old quit/restart thing - but only once instead of 10 times. So hopefully I can limp along for now.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Similar problem. Just tried to customize a report and Quicken just started cycling through the open windows and dialogs repeatedly. Had to kill it.
  • Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel

Hey, thanks for the Windows hacks above. For reasons that boggle my mind, GPU acceleration is OFF. I don't recall ever doing that. Next time I have to reboot I'll be sure to enable that and see if it helps. Plus the application level settings too.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fletch200 said:
    For reasons that boggle my mind, GPU acceleration is OFF. I don't recall ever doing that.
    No need to boggle. GPU acceleration is off by default. It was originally an experimental feature, so Microsoft didn't enable it by default. I have not heard of any bad results with it on and it seems to help on many PCs.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Fletch200
    Fletch200 Member ✭✭✭
    Posting a follow-up after running with the GPU acceleration enabled...

Nothing dramatic. I still occasionally see Quicken (in the taskbar) go-away then return when I click on the left to pick a different account. It's just quicker now.

Still occasionally see the black screen when its busy doing something and the GUI seems to be unable to keep up or refresh itself. But it all comes back when the processing is completed.

The acceleration might have actually helped entering downloaded transactions. It had gotten to the point that this alone took 4 seconds per transaction - I do them one at a time. Switching between accounts is quicker too - when the program doesn't have to close/open first. That doesn't happen every time. So I can mostly just go down the list clicking one after the other and it does seem to load faster.

Lastly, I had also removed / cleaned up / and reinstalled Quicken as well - as recommended.
This discussion has been closed.