Investment account balances incorrect between July 2021 - July 2022

zman0326
zman0326 Member ✭✭
After applying the Chase EMT+ changes, I found that the account values of roughly half of my Morgan Stanley (MS) accounts ballooned by as much as 80%, on or near July 2021, and return to a more accurate balance, on or near July 2022. No MS transaction activity explains by the value rose then dropped during this period of time. The only action that occurred when this issue occurred to my investment accounts was the connection changes to Chase. By the way, the Chase change also resulted in a large number of Chase transactions being duplicated in my check register, which then required manual deletion. While my MS account balance now appear correct, I want to understand why the one year period between 2021-2022 still appears wrong.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    @zman0326 Right, and what @Jon is suggesting is that you need to dig in to see what's off. I don't think there's any global problem with a time period, if that's what you're suggesting. Each user may have different issues. In your case, I'd go back to June 2021 and see if your Quicken investment portfolio matches your brokerage statement. Then move forward to July 2021 and see where there's a discrepancy. Is it one security? Is the share balance wrong, or the price wrong? Are there any placeholder transactions in your register from that time period? Once you gain some insight into where Quicken diverges from reality, it will suggest a path forward to address the problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If the value of your portfolio is off, then either the number of shares is wrong or the prices are wrong. I would pick a month-end date somewhere in the affected range & compare what Quicken says your portfolio was on that day to what your month-end statement from the broker says it was. You'll be able to tell pretty quick which one it is.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• zman0326
    zman0326 Member ✭✭
    I understand your point, yet I can’t understand why. These account balances were correct prior to the Chase EMT+ changes implemented by Quicken and Chase. Once the changes were complete, my MS historical balances were thrown off. I see very similar comments made by another user about his Ameritrade account balances during the same July to July period.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    @zman0326 Right, and what @Jon is suggesting is that you need to dig in to see what's off. I don't think there's any global problem with a time period, if that's what you're suggesting. Each user may have different issues. In your case, I'd go back to June 2021 and see if your Quicken investment portfolio matches your brokerage statement. Then move forward to July 2021 and see where there's a discrepancy. Is it one security? Is the share balance wrong, or the price wrong? Are there any placeholder transactions in your register from that time period? Once you gain some insight into where Quicken diverges from reality, it will suggest a path forward to address the problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.