Quicken Canada One Step Update cannot handle USD

Options
Allen Chan
Allen Chan Member ✭✭
Hi, I am trying to set up 1-step update for TD. I have a mix of Canadian and US dollars account but Quicken will not allow me to match the US account to an existing US account that I am already using in Quicken.

I can download the QFX file manually and it would work.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think Express Web Connect was ever designed to handle multiple currencies.
    So, that would be CAD accounts for Quicken Windows Canadian, and USD accounts for Quicken Windows US.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Canadian version of Quicken does handle multiple currencies. And, you can use Web Connect and Express Web Connect to download transaction data in account specific currencies. For example, I have a few Canadian (CAD) currency accounts and one USD account with RBC Royal Bank. They all download correctly in their respective currencies. The Currency is actually set by a field in the downloaded data (and this can cause some issues).

I have a very strong hunch as to what is going wrong for the Original Poster. There is a *bug* in Quicken that requires that you have at least one transaction pending download in each account when you are trying to set up 1SU. If you don't have at least one transaction pending download in each account, it may not characterize the account correctly. If, for example, you have a USD account that you use seldomly, it may not have a transaction that is recent enough and that will cause Quicken's 1SU process to fail to recognize the account as a USD account. I suspect that what is happening here is that there is no recent transaction available for download from the USD account and, therefore, Quicken's 1SU process assumes it is a CAD account - but it didn't get the currency field from a downloaded transaction because there was none.

I brought this issue to Quicken's attention years ago and they made some improvements - at the time Quicken would change the currency configuration in your Quicken file if there were no recent transactions in the download. The issue with Quicken changing the account currency in your Quicken file got fixed, but you still MUST have a transaction pending download in each account when you set up 1SU. So, create a transaction, e.g. transfer one dollar into the USD account and THEN retry the setup.

When using EWC, the downloaded EWC data is the master of the currency setting.

Let us know if that works !

This discussion has been closed.