How is the Difference amount calculated on the Mac My Budget screen?

Options
Don L Turner
Don L Turner Member ✭✭
At the top of the My Budget screen, on the right side, under the date range of the budget and above the word "Difference" there is a calculated amount.

How is that amount calculated? What is its purpose?

I know it is affected by commitment amounts. I have changed commitment amounts in a future month, during the current month and in a previous month. The number changed by the amount of the new commitments.

I thought that number was telling me the difference between projected spending and projected income. But the number is in green and I thought that meant I had more projected income than projected spending. Even if I edit the budget commits to more than my project income, the number increases by the edited amount, and the larger number stays green.

I don't understand what's happening.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Hi, Don:

Yes, that is calculated from your goals. What confuses some people is that it is a calculation for the entire year. So. future months of zero activity are calculated in. Some people prefer to see this.

What I suspect you are more interested in is seeing how you are doing YTD. You can show this: make sure the Year to Date column is showing. You can toggle it by clicking on this icon:

And you can choose from the resulting column dropdown Year to Date totals:

This will show the total YTD for each category.
  • Don L Turner
    Options
    My interest in this instance is year-to-date differences between income and commitments. That is what I thought the aforementioned Difference number represented. Instead, after using your very useful advise, I see that the difference number is related to the difference between year-to-date numbers and the entire budget for the year numbers. I cannot understand the value of that particular number. I'm hoping someone can explain that to me.

I believe the number I'm actually looking for was revealed when I changed that first column to year-to-date, after seeing your advice. What I really want to know is total commitments against total projected income. I update my budget commitments at the end of each month, causing the overage or the shortfall to become more accurate throughout the year, something very helpful to me.
This discussion has been closed.