How to created linked transactions between two accounts with different currency

PurpleMonkey
PurpleMonkey Quicken Mac Subscription Member ✭✭
Is there a way to create a transaction that in one account that links to another account in different currency? For example, Credit Card account in USD and an 'expense account" in CAD? Today, that description doesn't come across and it is very different to try to manually link the two transactions together. On the Payee the description becomes "Transfer from XXX", Category is "Transfer" and Memo has the originating account amount 'XXX from account XXX". This information is not very useful to link.

Answers

• whodiini
    whodiini Quicken Windows 2017 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what you are asking.  I have 2 accounts, say account A that is set up in USD and account B that is set up in CAD.   When I have a transaction in account A that uses account B in the category entry, when I enter an amount in dollars and hit enter, a pop up window comes up with an amount in CAD for the transaction in account B.  I can leave it as hte default value or I can edit it to what I know will be the conversion rate to CAD. In your description, you use as a category "transfer".  You want to use account B as the category and then it will link. 
  • Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You cannot create a linked transfer between accounts of different currencies. You can edit the Payee & Memo fields to make it easier to find the other transaction but the two will never be linked in Quicken.
  • PurpleMonkey
    Thanks for the comments. I guess my fundamental issue is with the transactions not linking up like it is in the windows version of Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that @whodiini's answer was for Quicken Windows, which does allow for linked transfers between accounts with different currencies.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The steps in @whodiini's answer work on the Mac also, they just don't create a linked transfer. Instead you get an unlinked transfer - two independent transactions removing money from one account & adding it to the other.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    You know in some ways I wonder if it's best not to have a link transaction.  The way they work on quicken Windows is that it actually has a conversion factor built in.   Which in certain situations can actually get in the way.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PurpleMonkey
    Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated it!
This discussion has been closed.