Bug in Backup/Restore causing CC-800

Options
Herrick Inman
Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
For several years I've been using Quicken for desktop on two computers to manage the same 20 bank accounts. I can't use the Quicken Web/Mobile software because it doesn't support sub-categories; [Removed - Disruptive]. Therefore, I need to do a backup/restore to transfer my Quicken file to whatever computer I want to use. This is how I've been using Quicken for more than 5 years.

Then about a year ago, I started getting CC-800 errors with the recommendation that I deactivate/reactivate the accounts that returned the error. That recommendation works, but it's impractical to have to do this every time I want to do a 1-step update on a restored file. The recommendation becomes more impractical as more accounts start returning CC-800.

First, it was just my US Bank account that returned CC-800. Now my AdelFi accounts, which I opened two years ago, have just started returning CC-800.

Quicken support says Quicken does not recommend I use Quicken the way I've been using it for over five years. [Removed - Speculation]

Today a Quicken support rep suggested that I update my Quicken file from only one computer and use the other computer only to read my Quicken file. This is not a particularly useful suggestion, since I want to be able to update my Quicken file from either computer to suit my convenience.

[Removed - Inaccurate/Speculation/Rant]

Comments

• Gopher651
    Gopher651 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I use Google Drive Desktop to achieve what I believe you are asking. With Google Drive, there is a copy of the cloud files stored locally on my computer. When I open a Quicken file I open the local copy. After finished with Quicken, the file is automatically backed up to the cloud and is accessible to another computer (once first computer syncs) with Google Drive (same files). I just have to be sure on the second computer, the file is synced before opening. Google drive does indicate all files are synced. If a file is actively syncing you can get file in use errors. You can pause syncing while using and resume when done if that happens. Been doing this way for
    years. If you have a Google account, you get 15gb Google Drive storage free.
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Mirror or Stream? What is the path to the Quicken file or files you sync with Google Drive?
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • Gopher651
    Gopher651 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I use mirror. I believe Quicken tech doesn't recommend streaming so I've never even tried. Mine are in users/"username"/my drive/quicken. Backups there also in backup folder.
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    In the path you provided, who created the folder /my drive/? You or the Google Drive Desktop?
  • Gopher651
    Gopher651 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I let Google create but you can name or point to any folder. GD also creates a "hard drive" under my computer. File opened from there would be streaming. Side note, I have Quicken on 3 systems and Quicken on each system remembers the local path for backups. Same with opening the file at Quicken startup.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    FWIW, I'm getting the CC-800 on my Discover Card account after switching over from DC to EWC. After installing the 44.20 release and having issues with old pending transactions in the account, I tried unsuccessfully to remove them by various means. Long story, short, I ended up restoring a backup file to get me back to where I started. Now Discover giving a CC-800 error even though the account updates normally.
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Backup/Restore clearly has a bug. The restored file doesn't even show the correct timestamps for the most recent 1-step-update downloads that should have been captured in the backup file.
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, uploading to Google Drive is slow. My internet download speed is 250Mbps, but my upload speed is only around 10-15Mbps. 
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The CC-800 problem on my Adelfi accounts runs deeper than I thought. Suppose I have a good QDF file with no CC-800 errors after a 1-step update of my Adelfi accounts. If I open the same QDF file from Quicken on a different omputer, under the same Quicken ID, my Adelfi accounts are immediately tagged with "Quicken is unable to update your account" even before I try to update them. 
This discussion has been closed.