How can I zero out a partial / leftover stock

Options
JackC7164
JackC7164 Member
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
My account showed 200 shares of a security which I believed to be correct.
When I went to sell, I checked the sell all shares button and it filled in 200.
When I hit the enter I received an error message saying I didn't have 200 shares?
I tried 199 shares which worked, but now I have 1 share showing in my accounts.

Anyone know a fix for this situation?

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    suggest going back and validating the file - there could have been a damaged lot along the way.....
  • JackC7164
    JackC7164 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mark1104, I thought of that too, and did that, but maybe I didn't take it far enough. Maybe if I delete the transaction, then run validate and re-enter the sale that might clear it?? I'll give that a try today.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you bought and sold that security before?  You may need to delete and re-enter prior sales as well. 
    Has the security had stock splits while you owned it?  Particularly odd ratio splits (1:3, 4:7, etc.). 
  • JackC7164
    JackC7164 Member
    Options
    Thanks q-lurker, the history for that security is a mess, there are many buys/sells/splits and even a transfer from another account. I ran a report on it and all the numbers added up with no left-overs but one may have been lurking some number of decimals out. I finally gave up and did the 'adjust share balance' transaction. Not perfect, but I no longer have one share of that security when I look at investing/portfolio. Probably time for me to archive off some of the older data in my file!!
This discussion has been closed.