My Q Mac 2007 data file will not open.

Options
richardwhiteside
richardwhiteside Member ✭✭
Using my older IMac with Q2007. All of a sudden my .qdf file won't open.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    Yrs of data gone. Using Mojave.Version 10.14.6 as have been for yrs. Yikes!!!!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You haven't provided any information for us to try to help you. How are you launching Quicken, form the Dock? Have you tried double-clicking on the data file? What exactly happens when you try to open the data file? 

If the file is corrupted, do you have backups? When I was using Quicken 2007, I had Quicken automatically generate backups each time I quit, but if you're using Mojave I'm guessing you have a drive formatted in APFS format, which prevents automatic backups. Do you have any manually-created backups? Do you have Time Machine or other backups of your Mac? Even if your live data file is damaged, your backup data files should be usable.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @richardwhiteside You've posted the same issue in two separate posts. See my reply in your other post. (It's best to only post a problem once to keeps all suggestions and discussion in one place.)
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    Thank much for the info. When I open any of my data files I cant find my accounts anymore. I still have my fingers crossed, but . . .
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    I made 2 posts by accident.
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    When I find a way to open accounts, all I find are accounts from the past.
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    I found my original Q2007 installation disc. Would that somehow help?
  • jacobs
    Options
    Sorry, I'm lost. First you said your data file won't open. Then you said you can open multiple data files, but can't find your accounts. Then you said you do see accounts, but they are old.

What I can say it this: (1) The Quicken 2007 installation disc isn't useful here. You already have the Quicken 2007 program running on your computer. (2) If you've opened a data file and find it has old account data, that means you've opened an old copy of your data file. You need to try to find your current data file, or a recent backup. Start by doing a Finder search for ".qdfm"; this should show all your Quicken 2007 data files.
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    Been using it all along. Recently it just went away. Can't open or transfer my .qdfm backup file. Afraid the Q program is gone. Any suggestions? I try the OPTCMDB to only get really old files.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Your post raised many questions… You say you "transferred it" to your older iMac.
    • What version of operating system is there on this older iMac?
    • What Mac did you transfer it from, and what operating system was in use on that Mac?
    • What exactly did you transfer? The Quicken 2007 application, your data file, or both?
    • How did you do the transfer?
    • You say you can't open or transfer your .qdfm backup file. Why can't you transfer it?
    • What happens when you try to open the backup file?
    • "I try the OPTCMDB to only get really old files." I have no idea what you mean here. Command-Option-B is a key command to reindex the transaction file within Quicken 2007 data files — but you've said you can't run Quicken or open a data file, so I' don't know what Command-Option-B has to do with this discussion. Can you elobatorate on what you meant?

• richardwhiteside
    Options
    OK. let me start over.Sorry for the confusion.
    I've been using this OS since around 2015. I made a .qdfm to attempt to transfer to another OS on my newer Mac. That xfer worked for the data.
    Then...just out of the blue I started to get the "not able to open" sign.
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    I have a Quicken symbol in my bar at the bottom of the screen. I can open that but it opens data back years ago.
    A few posts recommended that I open with Command-Option-B,
  • richardwhiteside
    Options
    Now I found a link with the image of Q2007 with a slash cross it. Can't open because no support. Wonder why I've been able to use it for years now.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @Richardwhiteside. You didn't answer most of my questions. Let's start here: what operating system is on the Mac you're trying to use? The slash through the application icon usually indicates it's a 32-bit application (like Quicken 2007) on a 64-bit operating system (Catalina and beyond). 
This discussion has been closed.