Accrued Interest Not Saving

Dan R NC
Dan R NC Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I've entered data in Quicken for the purchase of Bonds. I enter accrued interest and the value is included in the Total Cost in the data entry form. I hit Save and the Accrued Interest is nowhere to be seen in the Amount or reflected in the Balance in the transaction register.

What's going on?

Quicken Mac Version 6.9

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Dan R NC,

I am not sure if this will translate correctly (I use Q Windows - you are on Q Mac) but you should be able to enter the accrued interest that you pay on a bond purchase as part of the "Bonds Bought" entry. 

Here's where you need to enter that accrued interest:

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Disclaimer: I know nothing about Bonds. Have never bought any. But I was curious ...

So I added a Buy Bond transaction (not a Buy transaction) to my investment register. This brought up a form in Quicken for Mac similar to the Windows form that Frankx posted earlier.

I filled in the form with my guesses as to appropriate numbers: 

Because this was a new security, I then got a New Security form. On that form I changed the security type from Stock to Bond.

What I got was this: 

Notice the Miscellaneous Expense categorized as Accrued Interest. Is this not what you see?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Dan R NC
    Dan R NC Member ✭✭
    Thank you both for replying. Sorry its taken me a while to reply (I never got a notification my question was replied to).

This is stranger than I imagined. When I wrote the original question, I never got a Miscellaneous Expense for the bonds purchased during the previous week. When I entered a new purchase last week, I did get a Miscellaneous Expense for one of the bonds I bought in one account, but no Misc Exp for bonds purchased in another account, even though I entered Accrued Interest.

I've tried going in and editing the transactions and re-entering the Accrued Interest and nothing. No change. (I have since upgraded to Quicken Mac Version 6.10.2)

I tried a new test purchase, and it created a Misc Exp for me, so I will try creating new transactions to replace the old transactions and see if that works for all four previous bond purchases.

Thanks for your assistance.
This discussion has been closed.