Monthly Budget Rollover Not Working

Options
texasblueline
texasblueline Member ✭✭
I've been using Quicken's budget for a while now and have had it set to rollover balances at the end of each month for each of my categories in the graph view/monthly view. Last month, when September 1 came around, only about 1/4 of my budget categories rolled over correctly, and most that did not roll over began with a $0 rollover amount while some incorrectly rolled over the amount. I went through and manually reset the rollover amounts for those categories in hopes it was a fluke, but on October 1 it did the same with only maybe 1/3 of them correct and the others either rolling over $0 or an incorrect amount.

I have verified that all of the categories have the "Rollover balances at the end of each month" option selected. I have gone back to the previous month and tried changing it to "Turn rollover off" and then turning it back to "Rollover balances..." to "reset" the rollover, but that did nothing.

I am using Quicken Deluxe for Windows 10 Home, Version R43.32, and Build 27.1.43.32.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been using Quicken's budget for a while now and have had it set to rollover balances at the end of each month for each of my categories in the graph view/monthly view. Last month, when September 1 came around, only about 1/4 of my budget categories rolled over correctly, and most that did not roll over began with a $0 rollover amount while some incorrectly rolled over the amount. I went through and manually reset the rollover amounts for those categories in hopes it was a fluke, but on October 1 it did the same with only maybe 1/3 of them correct and the others either rolling over $0 or an incorrect amount.

I have verified that all of the categories have the "Rollover balances at the end of each month" option selected. I have gone back to the previous month and tried changing it to "Turn rollover off" and then turning it back to "Rollover balances..." to "reset" the rollover, but that did nothing.

I am using Quicken Deluxe for Windows 10 Home, Version R43.32, and Build 27.1.43.32.
    Hello @texasblueline,     

I am sorry about this problem with budget amounts and rollovers. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, have you looked into the Opening Balances of the associated accounts, and any placeholders that may be appearing in them? Do these amounts appear correct? Let us know if the registers are showing amounts that appear incorrect. 

If all these appear as they should, try saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions provided below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • texasblueline
    texasblueline Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @texasblueline,     
    >
    > I am sorry about this problem with budget amounts and rollovers. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >
    > First, have you looked into the Opening Balances of the associated accounts, and any placeholders that may be appearing in them? Do these amounts appear correct? Let us know if the registers are showing amounts that appear incorrect. 
    >
    > If all these appear as they should, try saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions provided below:* Navigate to File
    > * Select Validate and Repair File...
    > * Select Validate File
    > * Click OK
    > * Close the Data Log
    > * Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    > * Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 
    >
    > If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 
    >
    > * Navigate to File
    > * Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    > * Select Super Validate File
    > * Click OK
    > * Close the Data Log
    > * Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    > * Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing about your results. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Apologies for the delay, had a couple of long days at work.

The opening balances of my accounts are correct, there are are no placeholders present, and the current account balances all appear to be correct. It is only some of the budget rollover balances for October that are incorrect.

I followed all of your instructions, but neither the Validate or Super Validate procedures corrected the issue. There are still several budget categories that are not rolling over the balances from the previous month.

I attached a screenshot showing the first few budget categories from last month and this month, and you'll note the first 3 did not rollover the balance correctly, while the next 4 did. As I go down the list of budget categories there is no apparent pattern in how many did or did not rollover correctly. There will be several consecutive categories that did not rollover, then 1 or 2 that did, then 1 that didn't, and so on.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    (If you're on a feature level higher than Starter Edition ...)
    Have you looked at the Annual View of your budget yet? This is a spreadsheet-like view showing you Budgeted Amount, Actual Expense and remaining Balance for each month of the year. If Rollover is enabled for a category, that amount is added to the balance. Scheduled Reminders can optionally be included in current and future months' Actual columns is they had occurred already.
    Maybe that will help show if the numbers are correct or not ...
  • texasblueline
    texasblueline Member ✭✭
    Options
    @UKR, attached is a snippet of my Annual View for the first few categories that I had posted the screenshot of above.

If you look at the "Auto: J" category you'll see for the previous months the balance rolled over correctly, whereas for October it did not. Then looking at the 2022 Summary Balance for that category it shows my year-end balance will only be $25, which is the monthly budgeted amount for that category. So it appears to be basing that category's year-end balance on only the amount budgeted to be added in December, not the continual rollover of the balance. There are no scheduled transactions/reminders for that category, it's a seldom used category where I set aside money to occasionally buy something for an old Jeep that's my "toy."

However, if you look a couple rows down at the "Auto: Service & Maintenance: E" category, that 2022 Summary Balance correctly reflects the continued rollover for the rest of the year.

The correct "Rollover balances at the end of each month" setting is applied to all of my categories, as you can see by the green double arrows icon. On a couple of categories that don't rollover I've tried switching them to "Turn rollover off" and then back to the "Rollover balances..." setting to see if that'd fix it, but it didn't change anything.
  • texasblueline
    texasblueline Member ✭✭
    Options
    So I cannot figure out a solution, several of my budget categories still won't roll over and it appears nobody here has a solution. This month I've probably spent about 10 hours trying to figure out how to fix this, and it looks like the only way would be to delete my current budget and set up a new one again.

I hate to say it, but after having used Quicken since the 90s I think this is the final frustration that's pushing me to leave. I was content when Quicken was boxed software I could buy, install, and use, but once that was no longer an option I dutifully upgraded to this subscription-based program and the annual fee. I assumed having everyone paying recurring subscription fees would've ensured top-notch technical support and quick resolutions to bugs. But instead I've been plagued with months-long periods of some accounts not being able to download transactions from my banks, apparently random changes to the dollar amounts of transactions or starting balances, budgets that have disappeared, budget categories that would suddenly be incorrect when synched to the cloud to be able to see them in the mobile app, and now this issue with several budget categories that won't roll over.

I'm doing a test run with Mint, YNAB, and Tiller to see if I can find a less frustrating experience. At the end of the day all I'm looking for are registers to track my transactions for my checking/savings/credit accounts, the ability to download transactions to match to those registers, the ability to have a budget that updates as transactions are entered, and the ability to see a few retirement and investment accounts. It's sad that it has gotten to the point that Quicken can't seem to handle those basics anymore.
This discussion has been closed.