HELOC vs. Home Equity Loan

Options
GK626
GK626 Member ✭✭
1. I see an option to add a Home Equity Loan, but do not see an option to add a Home Equity Line of Credit. Can someone help me find this option?

2. If I set it up as a Home Equity Loan with downloads enabled, this account doesn't show up in transaction entry screen so I don't have a way to show that an amount was moved (borrowed) from this HELOC account to a checking account (or vice versa). Please advise.

Best Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @GK626 - question: since you are ALSO downloading your checking account transactions, which is where the HELOC credit goes in any event, and assuming the category you select for that HELOC deposit into the checking account is 'HELOC', then why does it matter whether or not the HELOC transactions is automatically downloaded to the HELOC Account??

If a deposit posts to the checking account during its automated download process and you choose the category 'HELOC'. it's the same result...... are you making this more complicated than it needs to be???
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Looks to me as if we're going around in circles, getting nowhere fast.
    If this was my HELOC account, I'd just simply set it up as an offline Credit Card account and don't worry about activating for download. There typically are only a few transactions per month: transfer to Checking to take money out, transfer from Checking to pay money back, Interest charge. Those few I can record manually and/or with the help of a Scheduled Reminder or two.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    yes you do- the transaction should appear in the checking account (as a checking account transactions).  Be sure that the category for that checking account transaction is 'HELOC'

"HELOC" should be set up as a liability account. 

are you downloading transactions for your checking account?  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    You can add an offline HELOC and may be able to connect it to online downloading later. As far as Quicken is concerned, a HELOC is a Credit Card account and that's what you'll end up with.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GK626
    GK626 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Mark1104 and @"Rocket J Squirrel" for your answers. Very helpful!

My HELOC bank allows downloading of transactions, so I was looking to set up my HELOC as an online account and not an offline account.

Mark - Yes, I am downloading transactions for my checking account as well.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GK626 said:
    My HELOC bank allows downloading of transactions, so I was looking to set up my HELOC as an online account and not an offline account.
    When creating an online account, QWin doesn't always get the account type right. It thinks my savings account is a checking account, for example. That doesn't really matter, but I generally advise people to create accounts offline to make sure they are the correct type. Then activate downloads and you're in business.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GK626
    GK626 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Rocket J Squirrel - that's a great idea. Unfortunately, even when I set up an offline account first and then tried to set up online downloads for it, Quicken is forcing me to either add a new account or not add. There is no option to link to the offline account I created. :(

Thanks for your help though - I really appreciate it!
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @GK626 - question: since you are ALSO downloading your checking account transactions, which is where the HELOC credit goes in any event, and assuming the category you select for that HELOC deposit into the checking account is 'HELOC', then why does it matter whether or not the HELOC transactions is automatically downloaded to the HELOC Account??

If a deposit posts to the checking account during its automated download process and you choose the category 'HELOC'. it's the same result...... are you making this more complicated than it needs to be???
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GK626 said:
    Thanks @Rocket J Squirrel - that's a great idea. Unfortunately, even when I set up an offline account first and then tried to set up online downloads for it, Quicken is forcing me to either add a new account or not add. There is no option to link to the offline account I created.

Thanks for your help though - I really appreciate it!
    The image shows the HELOC account with a Type = Loan field. "Loan" is selectable. If you click this field's "▼" button, what choices do you have? LOC, HELOC or Credit Card would all be fine and should give you a link to your offline HELOC register ... I hope ...
  • GK626
    GK626 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Good point @Mark1104! I try to have all my accounts set up for auto downloads so every transfer is captured on both accounts involved, but yes I can make do with downloading just the checking account and keeping HELOC offline.
  • GK626
    GK626 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @UKR! The options are Loan, Mortgage, Student Loan, Consumer Loan, Commercial Loan, Home Equity Loan, and a couple of others, but no Line of Credit or Credit Card. All the available options are treated like a loan with a loan amount and a payment schedule. The line of credit or credit card behavior - meaning there is max line limit but you can increase or decrease how much of that line you are using at any time - is not possible.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Looks to me as if we're going around in circles, getting nowhere fast.
    If this was my HELOC account, I'd just simply set it up as an offline Credit Card account and don't worry about activating for download. There typically are only a few transactions per month: transfer to Checking to take money out, transfer from Checking to pay money back, Interest charge. Those few I can record manually and/or with the help of a Scheduled Reminder or two.
This discussion has been closed.