Convoluted data file name - how to properly rename

Options
Katherine Jones
Katherine Jones Member ✭✭
I am using Quicken for Windows R43.32.

I am unsure what I did exactly but somehow the name of my QW data file is:

11oct2011_20120114-2017-01-23 READY2-R-36.57-2022-02-02.QDF-backup2.QDF

and my backups that I make myself from the app (with date appended to the file name) are of the format:

11oct2011_20120114-2017-01-23 READY2-R-36.57-2022-02-02.QDF-backup2-2022-10-12.QDF-backup

As you can see, the file names include the term ".QDF-backup2" in it.... then the appropriate file extension at the end.

Even before I realized the file name is funky, I knew I really needed to rename the file because while the filename was meaningful when I did something in 2017 to dump all the transaction details from 1993 to 2011 or so, the file name really means little at this point.

I have a great deal of investment data transaction and some connectivity with financial institutions in my file. I do not use QW on any devices other than my Windows 10 PC (although I think I may have installed it on my iPad or iPhone).

With no data files open in the app can I rename the .QDF file using the Windows Explorer, the same way I might rename an .xlsx or .docx file? Can I rename a .QDF-backup file the same way and still be able to restore it if necessary?

Thank you for your time.

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes you can rename it in Windows.  Then the first time you want to open it you might have to browse to where it is so it knows the new name.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can use Windows File Explorer to rename both .QDF and .QDF-backup files.
    Note if you double click on the .QDF file after renaming it, it will open in Quicken and Quicken will now have the right location/name for opening the next time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah, you can rename them as you want. 
    The weird names come from opening a Backup file - and then creating a new backup file so you get … backupxxx.backupxxx.QDF 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes you can rename it in Windows.  Then the first time you want to open it you might have to browse to where it is so it knows the new name.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can use Windows File Explorer to rename both .QDF and .QDF-backup files.
    Note if you double click on the .QDF file after renaming it, it will open in Quicken and Quicken will now have the right location/name for opening the next time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah, you can rename them as you want. 
    The weird names come from opening a Backup file - and then creating a new backup file so you get … backupxxx.backupxxx.QDF 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Katherine Jones
    Options
    Thank you everyone, especially Ps56k2, who noted what I did to get such a goofy file name.
This discussion has been closed.