How to fix error with the way Quicken downloads Brokerage account info

Options
AlyssaMcF
AlyssaMcF Member ✭✭
On 9/7/22 I moved $2000 to a Fidelity Brokerage account from a Money Market account, and set up the new Fidelity account in Quicken. When I later went to move the $2000 from my core position in Fidelity to actually purchase a fund, Quicken downloaded the $2000 I bought as a new transaction, making it look like I had $4000 in my account, when I still only have $2000 in reality over on the Fidelity side.

How can I make Quicken understand that when I buy and sell within a Brokerage account, I am simply moving money around, and not adding new money?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Open the purchase transaction and make sure the Total Cost is not zero and that the transaction type is Buy and not Add Shares.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• AlyssaMcF
    AlyssaMcF Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Jon So the very first line shows an orange pencil icon, Add Shares, and the amount is 0. I'd been ignoring that since it was a zero. Should I delete it?

The line above that shows Payment/Deposit and that has my Transfer from Money Market total amount.

The lines above that shows a series of buys of lesser amts which represent moving the money internally in the Fidelity acct to buy funds and such.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    If the only shares in the account are ones you purchased with the money you transferred in then you shouldn't have an Add Shares transaction; in that case yes, I would delete it. It sounds like this is a new brokerage account, so everything in Quicken should correspond to an actual transaction that took place.

You should make a backup of your Quicken file first in case the changes make things worse & you want to get back to where things are now.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.