Quicken incompatible right now with RBC 2fa

Options
Latin
Latin Member ✭✭
I just purchased Quicken today. It’s incompatible with RBC. I login in Quicken desktop with my Quicken user and pass, then try to link to rbc using rbc username and password. With my phone unlocked and me ready to push accept as soon as the push comes through, I wait, but nothing happens initially (all other rbc push for 2fa are within 10secs). While I wait for a push on my phone from rbc for what seems like 60 seconds… Quicken desktop is “thinking”,l. When I finally get the push on my phone…, Quicken desktop goes to a new page asking me for the answer to one of my rbc security questions. When I push accept on the rbc push it says something like “too late” even though i literally pushed accept the millisecond it finally arrived. So then I go back to the quicken software which is now asking one of my 3 rbc security questions… answer it correctly, perfectly and then quicken goes all the way back to start for me to enter rbc creds. I can do it about 3 times and the exact same thing happens then the 4th time or so it gives a code in the 900s that i found out means RBC won’t let Quicken try to login to same account until an hour passes. I tried again an hour later, rinse, repeat.

I just bought this Quicken and can’t do a thing with it because I can’t get into my only banking accounts.

I turned “off” RBC 2fa to see if I could at least get in and use Quicken, but I come to find out RBC’s 2fa never actually goes away. I turned 2fa off and lo and behold, get an email confirming I’ve turned it off, but I still get the 2fa push to my phone. So 2fa can never really be turned off with rbc.
I called RBC to see if they could turn it (actually) off, and they need some higher tech brach that was closed to take my request, I suspect it can’t be done.

I shouldn’t have to turn off 2fa anyway if Quicken is compatible with rbc then I shouldn’t need to downgrade my security in order for it to be compatible. Nevertheless I wanted to try it, but it appears once 2fa is turned on, it can never really be shut off again.

Comments

• Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    This isn’t a 2fa push coming in the middle of the night from RBC and me ignoring it. I just bought quicken today and tried to link my bank accounts at RBC and I push accept on the push instantly but it doesn’t work. Quicken says its RBC, RBC says it’s Quicken. Thus regardless of where the problem stems, the fact of the matter is that currently, Quicken is incompatible with RBC.
    As for whether my software for Quicken is up to date. 1) As soon as I purchased today it gave me the file to download. I called Quicken about my issue and she gave me a way to update the “latest”. We uninstalled the version that it gave me to download today when I bought it. Together installed a new version by doing something with ctrl shift next. It downloaded a different version, but I couldn’t try with RBC for an hour on the new version. 2 hours later I tried again with the new software and what happened is what I described in my original post.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    So it doesn’t work. Quicken isn’t waiting long enough for me to approve the 2fa. When 2fa finally shows up as a push, clicking accept doesn’t work to approve Quicken (accept equals… this request is timed out).
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    and entering the security question correctly does not solve the problem. Entering the security question correctly still does not lead to the account being synced. Instead there’s a redirect to Quicken’s add your bank account page. And it starts all over again.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    I would recommend to Quicken, you need to program the software longer to wait for accepting the push.
    It takes at least a minute for push 2fa from RBC to approve Quicken.
    Right now no one with 2fa at RBC can sign into Quicken because sign in at quicken times out before RBC actually delivers the 2fa approval push. Thus no amount of monitoring nor RBC push approvals can be done in Quicken within the time allowed by RBC to approve 2fa.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will be requesting my money back asap because Quicken isn’t actually compatible with RBC. I was falsely told RBC and Quicken were compatible.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    And to the company bots who request I provide information I already provided yet it still doesn’t work,…
    This has been an ongoing issue with RBC since September according to other posts from other people . Asking me if I know how to right click vs left click, asking me to uninstall and reinstall, asking me to turn off computer or mobile to try again has already been done and didn’t solve problem
    . If you suspect the “wrong version” of Quicken is causing problems, then why does Quicken make a download page where Canadians have no option but to download and outdated version??? of Quicken
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    To Quicken company workers who want to bombard me with go nowhere questions of, “what version or this or that do you have”I had the version quicken defaulted me to download after my order went through today.. Then upgraded to the “proper” Canadian version by pressing ctrl+Alt+ next…. It didn’t work.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have now Canadian Quicken 27.1.43.14
    This is the only version Quicken allows me to uninstall. If modern version of Canadian desktop is higher, then Quicken is messed up because this is the only version Quicken would allow me to use, via Quicken.
  • Latin
    Latin Member ✭✭
    Options
    So if version 27.1.42.14 is the “wrong” version for Canadians… Why does Quicken only allow downloads of 27.1.42.14 of their software to Saskatchewan???
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Express Web Connect method of downloading transactions will not work properly to download transactions from RBC Royal Bank if 2FA is enabled AND you have the RBC Mobile App installed AND you have at least one "Trusted Device" set in RBC Online Banking. You can, however, log into RBC Online Banking and turn the "Trusted Device" switch to OFF. Turning OFF "Trusted Device" will prevent RBC Online Banking from triggering a 2FA event in the Mobile App on your Trusted Device. If you turn Trusted Device OFF, Express Web Connect can work properly - you may need to answer a security question during a OSU once, but after that it will work normally as long as you leave "Trusted Device" set to OFF. The implication of doing this is that you won't have 2FA enabled for your RBC online banking.

Unfortunately, at this time, you need to choose between the enhanced security of 2FA (and causing problems with EWC) or disabling 2FA and allowing EWC to run smoothly with RBC Royal Bank.

Please do use the "Report a Problem" feature in Quicken to complain about this problem and please do open a ticket with Quicken support. The only way this will ever get properly fixed is to bring it to their attention - and, presently, it is NOT listed as a known issue in the online banking issue tracking.
  • rdecorby
    rdecorby Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is something that both Quicken and RBC need to fix. RBC needs to allow App Specific Passwords since the one step update is automated. RBC has been way behind in the 2nd factor authentication setup for years compared to other banks.
This discussion has been closed.