using Quicken Essentials on MAC OS 10.11(El Capitan)

Joelker
Joelker Member ✭✭
The Quicken Community, especially Jacobs was very helpful when I asked a few months ago about converting my Quicken Essentials data to a current Mac Version. My 11 year old IMac running OS 10.11 is working fine so I don't want to buy a new Mac. ...yet.
However, I checked back on the Quicken site today and see that Essentials cannot be converted to a current Quicken version (https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac) .
Jacobs had suggested that maybe I could convert my Quicken Essentials file to an older version of Quicken Mac. Is that still possible at this point in time? If it isn't or won't be in the future, do I have any options other than starting afresh with Quicken for Mac when the time comes and NOT importing my prior data from Essentials? (I am not a techie so please respond with that in mind.) Thank you!

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I just checked current QMac subscription version and it still has the ability to import a QE file. You can't run it on El Capitan though. So you would need to move your QE data file to the new machine and then point the Open dialog in QMac to that file.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    edited October 2022
    I think you can probably convert through an older version of QMac if you can find a copy. I'm not current enough on which versions run on which OS to be of help.

But I will say this: your 11 year old iMac is eventually going to die, probably sooner than later. Therefore, I hope you have a complete and current backup system in place. If your iMac dies, nothing may be (easily) recoverable.

Also consider that El Capitan is no longer receiving security updates, so you have an ongoing risk associated with that.

Also consider if you are using any other software that if forced to suddenly upgrade to a current machine/OS, will not operate on the new machine or be easily transitioned.

Bottom line to consider: it is better to make the major transition to a seven-year newer macOS while you still have the old machine available.
  • Joelker
    Joelker Member ✭✭
    Thank you RickO for your thoughtful and helpful reply.
    I do have both a local back up drive and a Carbonite backup.
    I am not able to upgrade to a newer OS on my 11 year old IMac. It's probably better for me to get a new IMac soon rather than wait til it dies.
  • Joelker
    Joelker Member ✭✭
    Does anyone know if it is possible to download an older version of Quicken Mac which is capable of importing from Quicken Essentials, and then step up to the current version of Quicken Mac? If so, how would I obtain an older version on Quicken Mac? Is there any way to reach a person at Intuit/Quicken who would be able to tell me?
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    I just checked current QMac subscription version and it still has the ability to import a QE file. You can't run it on El Capitan though. So you would need to move your QE data file to the new machine and then point the Open dialog in QMac to that file.

This discussion has been closed.