Is there a way to run rules on existing transactions? (Q Mac)

Options
DMalt719
DMalt719 Member ✭✭
I have many transactions in my Quicken database that need corrections, such as what category it should be in. I'd like to put in a rule that can essentially do a search and replace transactions that fit the parameters that I define.

Is that possible and, if so, how?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Rules — QuickFill Rules and Renaming Rules — only apply to new transactions being downloaded or manually entered, not to existing transactions. But you can — in some cases — do a find and a mass replace. Use Search along with the register filters to find the transactions you want. For example Search for Home Depot and restrict the range to This Year. Then Select All, or manually select the transactions you want to mass edit, using Command-click on each one. Then do Transactions > Edit Transaction and you can replace any of the fields you see in that window (Payee, Category, Tags, Transfer, Memo/Notes) for all the selected transactions.

But there's one big caveat: this only works on transactions without splits; if you need to edit transactions which have splits, you unfortunately need to edit them individually. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Rules — QuickFill Rules and Renaming Rules — only apply to new transactions being downloaded or manually entered, not to existing transactions. But you can — in some cases — do a find and a mass replace. Use Search along with the register filters to find the transactions you want. For example Search for Home Depot and restrict the range to This Year. Then Select All, or manually select the transactions you want to mass edit, using Command-click on each one. Then do Transactions > Edit Transaction and you can replace any of the fields you see in that window (Payee, Category, Tags, Transfer, Memo/Notes) for all the selected transactions.

But there's one big caveat: this only works on transactions without splits; if you need to edit transactions which have splits, you unfortunately need to edit them individually. 
  • DMalt719
    DMalt719 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Jacobs!
  • jacobs
    Options
    @DMalt719 Let me correct one thing and add a little more regarding Payee names. If you create a Renaming Rule, I forgot that there is a checkbox which gives you the option to apply the renaming to existing transactions. (You cannot do the same for categorization via QuickFill rules.) Also, you don't even need a renaming rule if you want to edit all instances of a Payee; just edit the name of a Payee in a transaction, and a blue box appears above the Payee field with a checkbox to also rename the Payee in existing transactions.
This discussion has been closed.