Investment Register Displays

Options
arbo
arbo Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Two accounts (me/wife), same Brokerage, Same Stock, Same # Shares, Bought same day,
One Gain/Loss figure is correct and reconciles with Brokerage, the other gain loss (my account) is of by several thousand dollars. I can't figure out why.
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @arbo

Were these executed in one brokerage account or two accounts?  Did you download the data or enter manually?

Assuming these are two separate accounts - I would suggest that you first look at the buy transactions - are they correct (do the numbers match with the purchase data from each of the buy orders)?  Next, look at the Security List - is there only one security or perhaps two with similar names and/or tickers.  

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• arbo
    arbo Member ✭✭
    Options
    HI FrankX
    Two separate Schwab accounts, data was downloaded, buy Transactions are correct. Looking at security list.
    Arbo
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was there any prior history with this security in the problematic account?  A prior history might have led to a bad basis value. 
  • arbo
    arbo Member ✭✭
    Options
    No, all transactions checked and verified
    Thanks
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe we should get more granule.  You bought the same number of shares, of the same stock at the exact same price, in two different brokerage accounts on the same day - is that correct?  If so, the cost basis of those stock holdings should be the same in both accounts - is that correct?

What did find when you verified the tickers in Quicken - were they identical?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• arbo
    arbo Member ✭✭
    Options
    FrankX
    Same stock, same purchase price, same, same, same……cost basis shows up correct in the Security Detail View….is zero on the register. On the phone with Quicken support for 2 hrs today….they are scratchin their head too.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @arbo,

Not trying to be pedantic - just making sure I understand, when you say "is zero on the register"  I believe that you mean that when you open the register and THEN CLICK "HOLDINGS" - the cost basis for this holding is zero.  Is that correct?

Frankx

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the difference in Gain/Loss between the two accounts the same as the total cost of the shares you bought? That would be consistent with a cost basis of zero in the problem account and would imply that the Buy in the problem account was at zero cost.

In the problem account, did the cash go down by the same amount as in the good account, or did it not change?

If the two Buy transactions are really exactly the same, I would back up your data just in case and then delete and re-enter the Buy transaction in the problem account.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.