Merrill Lynch Downloads

Options
msmensik
msmensik Member ✭✭
Since upgrading from v6.8 to v 6.9 and now 6.10, it is taking me well over 2 hours to download brokerage transactions from Merrill Lynch. Anyone else having this problem? Quicken tells me to contact Merrill for issues with "Direct Connect", and Merrill sends me back to Quicken for resolution, so I'm caught in a endless cycle.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    msmensik said:
    Since upgrading from v6.8 to v 6.9 and now 6.10, it is taking me well over 2 hours to download brokerage transactions from Merrill Lynch. Anyone else having this problem? Quicken tells me to contact Merrill for issues with "Direct Connect", and Merrill sends me back to Quicken for resolution, so I'm caught in a endless cycle.
    Hello @msmensik,   

I am sorry about these issues with incredibly slow updating of accounts. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried restarting your computer? Also, you may attempt to uninstall the software by making use of the instructions provided here, then waiting 5 seconds or so and reinstalling it using these instructions.

Let us know how this works. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • msmensik
    msmensik Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thx, Quicken Jared. Appreciate your suggestion. Yes, I tried re-starting, re-installing and a lot more (working extensively with Quicken support desk). Unfortunately, we were not able to resolve the download issue. The problem lies somewhere in "Direct Connect," which seems to be a hot potato/Catch 22 - Quicken support doesn't control the Merrill download server; Merrill support can't escalate the issue internally to a level where it gets required attention (they send you back to Quicken support); and Quicken support can't escalate the issue internally to level that ensures the two organizations work together to address and resolve the issue.
  • Quicken Jared
    Options
    msmensik said:
    Thx, Quicken Jared. Appreciate your suggestion. Yes, I tried re-starting, re-installing and a lot more (working extensively with Quicken support desk). Unfortunately, we were not able to resolve the download issue. The problem lies somewhere in "Direct Connect," which seems to be a hot potato/Catch 22 - Quicken support doesn't control the Merrill download server; Merrill support can't escalate the issue internally to a level where it gets required attention (they send you back to Quicken support); and Quicken support can't escalate the issue internally to level that ensures the two organizations work together to address and resolve the issue.
    Hello @msmensik,  

Thanks so much for getting back to me with more information about your results, and for continuing to work with me on this. I do apologize that this is continuing to be an issue, and for this frustration with support.

It may yield some progress if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, click Next 

You may then add your Merrill Lynch-affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues  with slow download times continue in this data file. 

I really look forward to hearing back from you about the results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • msmensik
    msmensik Member ✭✭
    Options
    Many thx, Quicken Jared, for your follow up and effort to help me here. Regrettably, I tried your suggested steps with Quicken Support's help as well, and it similarly took forever to download the data via Direct Connect from Merrill. And, naturally, the download was limited to more recent time period, which I expected. I do have many accounts (+20), but - again - the ultra-slow downloads began with v6.9. I think there is a deeper issue here.
  • Quicken Jared
    edited November 2022
    Options
    msmensik said:
    Many thx, Quicken Jared, for your follow up and effort to help me here. Regrettably, I tried your suggested steps with Quicken Support's help as well, and it similarly took forever to download the data via Direct Connect from Merrill. And, naturally, the download was limited to more recent time period, which I expected. I do have many accounts (+20), but - again - the ultra-slow downloads began with v6.9. I think there is a deeper issue here.
    Hello @msmensik,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue continuing in the test data file. Thank you for letting me know about your results.

Have you already reached out to Merrill Lynch support? It may be beneficial to do so, as the Direct Connect method would indicate that the problem is isolated to the banking institution's servers. Note that requesting to speak with a 'Tier 2' agent or escalations team, as their assistance may be necessary to document this issue further, and they often have a greater familiarity with third-party software, like Quicken.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out again with any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • msmensik
    msmensik Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thx, Quicken Jared. Yes, I've tried to contact Tier 2 at Merrill. Unfortunately, they simply connect me back to Quicken's help desk, saying that they no longer support Quicken.
  • msmensik
    msmensik Member ✭✭
    Options
    Inordinately slow update downloads with Merrill Lynch continue with no improvement as Quicken releases more software updates. Downloads from other financial institutions are almost instantaneous. And Merrill Helpdesk remains unhelpful. I am puzzled that this issue is not more widely reported on this discussion board. I had expected to see many other postings.
This discussion has been closed.