Erroneous Price Repeatedly Inserted into 4 Separate Securities

Options
Frank002
Frank002 Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
A few days ago, an erroneous price-- specifically $24.47-- was added to 4 separate securities in 3 separate brokerage accounts. One of those is a “security” (investment) which does not even have online pricing at all and it has no stock ticker symbol. The same price was added inserted into each of the 4 securities.

Today, the exact same thing happened again with the exact same 4 securities, only the price was slightly different today: $24.54 in each case.

What could be causing this? Is there a fix?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you enabled the new "Real Time Quote" feature? I have heard that that sometimes downloads incorrect quotes.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frank002
    Frank002 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jim, thanks for your input. I see that real-time quotes was enabled. (I don't recall whether I did so intentionally.) I have disabled it and am hopeful that will solve the problem. I have some reason to believe that may be the problem because it appears that these errors occurred during automatic quote updates, not manual updates.
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member ✭✭
    Options
    :s So in late September, Quicken started defaulting a few of my investments that were common investment trusts with a cusip designation to some other investment price. As a result, it shows that I have significant growth in my investments. For example, one fund I own had a share price of in the mid 40s and now it has a price of $149.35 as of close of business 10/26/2022. I have deleted the updated price in edit price history, but it continually overrides the value. Have been searching the boards to fix this for a month to no avail. Anyone else run into this scenario?
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have a similar problem except that a different value is inserted into multiple collective investment trust funds that have shares in. The value is the same in each of these funds. Each time I update, these funds (that only price at market close) reflect the same price as AAPL. I currently have 3 different investments reflecting this situation.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Have you assigned ticker symbols to the collective trusts? If so, try deleting the symbols and/or un-checking the Download Quotes box in the Security List for those funds. That should prevent the quote provider from supplying data for them. 
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member ✭✭
    Options
    There are no ticker symbols assigned, just a CUSIP ID when you go to the additional security information.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    OK, the CUSIP means the securities are matched to securities at your broker. Since they not publicly traded, you should un-check the Download Quotes boxes for them in the Security List. Correct the prices in the Price history, then see if you continue getting incorrect prices downloaded.
  • Frank002
    Frank002 Member ✭✭
    Options
    FYI, after two days, it appears that Jim's solution of turning off real-time quotes has solved the problem for me.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    In another thread, this issue appears to be related to the new real time quotes feature, and turning that off stops the incorrect quote downloads.

The setting is at Edit > Preferences > Investments > Real time quotes.

Please let us know if that option is enabled for you and if turning it off resolves the problem.
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unchecking the online update would then remove it from active updating, which is the whole point of getting prices downloaded...
    I went through and did some testing on my own and found, at least for now, the following solved my concern. Will need to check after a couple of days to see if the pricing updates hold.

Open Security List
    Open Security Detail View for the security in question
    Edit Security Details
    Make sure the CUSIP is listed in the Symbol field
    Delete erroneous price history
    Download historical prices that may have been missed

and then wait and see if it sticks.
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'd still like to know and understand why the security is updating the price history with AAPL information...
  • Frank002
    Frank002 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I still get online price updates, without the erroneous information, when I manually perform a one-step update, which I do frequently. It appears that the erroneous pricing information is only being inserted through the recent "real-time quotes" option.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    There are two sources for downloaded security prices - Quicken's quote provider and the brokerage where you hold the security.

The quote provider uses the ticker symbol to look up the security and only updates prices of the Download Quotes box is checked in the Security List AND ( you have a nonzero share balance OR the Watch List box is checked) 

The broker uses the CUSIP number and does not look at the Download Quotes box. 

This un-checking the Download Quotes box should only disable the incorrect quotes from the quote provider, not those from your broker.

I am suspicious that when the real time quotes option is enabled and Download Quotes is selected for a security but the quote provider can't match the ticker symbol, it uses AAPL instead. Do you hold AAPL or is it on your Watch List?
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have AAPL holdings.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Interestingly, $149.35 was yesterday's closing price for Apple (AAPL). Do you hold Apple or is in your Security List with the Watch List box checked? It appears that when the new Real Time Quotes option is enabled  and the quote provider can't match the ticker symbol for a security, it uses the AAPL price instead.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    OK, I suggest you turn off Download Quotes for the collective trusts. Hopefully that will stop the bad quotes from downloading but will not stop the quotes from your broker.
  • me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to dig into this but it is INSANE.  I thought my file was completely corrupt.
  • me
    me Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you.  Turned off the feature and the problem went away.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend you contact Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions. 

This discussion has been closed.