Latest Update Uninstalls, then Fails.

Options
CadpnDave
CadpnDave Member
About 10/22, I received notice of an Update. It automatically downloaded a package, and unpacked its files.
The installation package began, notified me that it was uninstalling my previous version, and erased the program.
It began the new installation and displayed a screen "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run." It identified a dll "Quicken\QCustomAction.dll".
I called Quicken Support, they opened a ticket, and made me wait for 3 days. When they called me, the first person who called said "This error came from Windows, so it's not our problem." When I pointed out that the defective DLL was named Quicken, she called her supervisor, who gave me the same excuse.
NO ONE from Quicken looked at the Install Log. They did not even listen to the explicit details in the error message.
Now, I don't care from where the error came; I just want it to be solved. How can I get past the gatekeepers to someone who will take responsibility?
Tagged:

Comments

• proy
    proy Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    Quicken does not work on Microsoft 365 - Here is the email I received: Hello Paulette P, Thank you for coming to the forum - Windows S mode only allows the installation of applications from Microsoft Store and from Quicken Software (see below) as you said it will not work. So you will need to remove your PC from S Mode, which will require you to purchase a Windows Pro key. See steps to go out of S Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/help/4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307 Quicken will not work in S Mode Link below: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7904150/how-do-i-install-quicken-on-windows-win-11-s-mode#:~:text=For%20others%20with%20the%20same,does%20not%20have%20S%20mode.
  • CadpnDave
    CadpnDave Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thought; it is more helpful than the Call Center.
    My computer OS is Windows 10 Pro, and I do not use Windows 365. I have had Quicken installed for more than 25 years, and asked for help perhaps a half dozen times; this is the first time I have received so little support.
  • CadpnDave
    CadpnDave Member
    Options
    I installed the latest version of Quicken on a second computer. Same Windows 10, different anti-virus. I updated the OS just before downloading Quicken. The Quicken install seemed successful, but when I started it, I saw the message "Unable to initialize run-time components, restart and try again". I did so, and the program failed again.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    proy said:
    Quicken does not work on Microsoft 365 -  
    As we have mentioned in your other postings - Microsoft 365 is NOT an operating system, but the packaging of Office applications … 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365

y
    our Windows Mode S issue is totally different and has nothing to do with these other problems 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• CadpnDave
    CadpnDave Member
    Options
    I have found the solution after a week of analysis. The Quicken update package failed to complete on 10/22; it left a corrupted version of one of the Quicken DLLs listed somewhere in the Registry, so neither the removal nor the installation could complete. When I reviewed the symptoms I listed above, I realized what the error indicated. I purchased a commercial quality uninstaller; it backed up the registry, set a Restore Point, sought out all the fragments left over from the botched installation and updates, marked them for deletion, and helped me do the cleanup.
    The reason I posted this post-solution review is to point out that all of the things I did SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE WITH QUICKEN'S ASSISTANCE. THis was a very sensitive operation involving editing of the Windows registry, and users risk damage to their operating system if they must do so.
    The support from the manufacturer was not helpful or effective: specifically, the second-level support technician should have had a list of the registry entries which need removal; they should have used one of the Remote Assistance tools to remove the broken software; or they should have pointed me to the commercial tools which could do what they would not.
    I would strongly urge that management at Quicke take immediate action to ensure that their call center, wherever it may be, acquire engineers with the software strengths to solve these sort of installation problems. No paying user should ever be told that "It's somebody else's job!"
This discussion has been closed.