update crashed quicken

Options
jetbugs
jetbugs Member ✭✭
I just updated Quicken and now it won't open. Windows says that the program is unresponsive. Downloaded the update again which removed the old program and supposedly installed the new but all I have is a white screen with a blue circle

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    HI @jetbugs,

I think that it is likely that you have an issue with a "rogue reminder" in the Quicken program that keeps repeating and recreating itself, which is hanging-up the application.

To fix this you will first need to change the "current date setting" of your computer back to a date a few days before you first saw this problem.  Next, open up the Quicken datafile that has been unresponsive - and then look at the "Bill & Income Reminders".  You will likely see a "rogue reminder" (or reminders) that have repeated many, many times. Delete that reminder (or reminders) and any repeated transactions related to them.

Next, close out of Quicken and reset your computer to the current date & time.  Then reopen that Quicken datafile and it should respond correctly.  You can then add back the reminder that went rogue.

Let me know how that goes and/or if you have any followups.

Frankx.

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @jetbugs

Did you follow the instructions I gave you above? Specifically - did you reset your computer's current date setting back, like I suggested?

I understand that you can't seem to get Quicken to open when you try, but the "white screen with a blue circle" is an indication that Quicken is trying to open. And, as I noted above, the problem has to do with activity that Quicken performs normally as it first opens up, but in your case there is a problem so it keeps cycling. If you follow the instructions I gave you - by setting your computer's clock back to a date when Quicken opened normally, you should be able to delete the "rogue reminder" that is causing your problems and Quicken the application will again work properly.

Please, follow the instructions and then let me know if it worked or not.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    HI @jetbugs,

I think that it is likely that you have an issue with a "rogue reminder" in the Quicken program that keeps repeating and recreating itself, which is hanging-up the application.

To fix this you will first need to change the "current date setting" of your computer back to a date a few days before you first saw this problem.  Next, open up the Quicken datafile that has been unresponsive - and then look at the "Bill & Income Reminders".  You will likely see a "rogue reminder" (or reminders) that have repeated many, many times. Delete that reminder (or reminders) and any repeated transactions related to them.

Next, close out of Quicken and reset your computer to the current date & time.  Then reopen that Quicken datafile and it should respond correctly.  You can then add back the reminder that went rogue.

Let me know how that goes and/or if you have any followups.

Frankx.

• jetbugs
    jetbugs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks but I can't even get quicken to open
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @jetbugs

Did you follow the instructions I gave you above? Specifically - did you reset your computer's current date setting back, like I suggested?

I understand that you can't seem to get Quicken to open when you try, but the "white screen with a blue circle" is an indication that Quicken is trying to open. And, as I noted above, the problem has to do with activity that Quicken performs normally as it first opens up, but in your case there is a problem so it keeps cycling. If you follow the instructions I gave you - by setting your computer's clock back to a date when Quicken opened normally, you should be able to delete the "rogue reminder" that is causing your problems and Quicken the application will again work properly.

Please, follow the instructions and then let me know if it worked or not.

Frankx

• jetbugs
    jetbugs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Okay thank you - I had to delete and reinstall quicken again and then I changed the date after resynching the data file. Now I'm searching for whatever might be hanging it up. Thank you
  • jetbugs
    jetbugs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Oh my goodness! It repeated itself over 52,000 times!
  • jetbugs
    jetbugs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Any suggestions how to quickly delete 52000 entries? Keeps crashing when I take on too many of them
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @jetbugs,

I can't promise this will work, but I suggest that you validate your datafile by following the directions located at this LINK. You should start in the section titled "Third, Copy your File and Validate"  make sure that you have a good backup copy before you start.  This process should delete many - if not all of those entries. 

Let me know how it goes and/or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.