Quicken keeps freezing and requires program force close [edit]

bailsmb
bailsmb Member ✭✭
I keep having issues with Quicken Home Business, most current version. I will do a one step update. It finishes. I'll review transactions. Occasionally, it will download duplicates. Delete those. I'll then go to look at my billers, or I'll click on a bill or anything else that is different than my accounts page, and then I get the spinning circle, Quicken goes grey, and after a while I get a message to either close quicken or wait for quicken. I tried waiting a few times, but that didn't work. I've closed and then reopened, I've rebooted. I've turned machine completely off. Still having same issue no matter what I try. Becoming very dissatisfied with Quicken and looking to find a program that has fewer issues

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @bailsmb,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken? Please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

However, after you have uninstalled and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bailsmb
    bailsmb Member ✭✭
    I followed the instructions above. Everything downloaded OK, however, once I go to the "Bills and Income" and attempt to mark something as paid, or do anything, it freezes again and I get the same problem.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited November 2022
    Thank you for following up, though I am sorry to hear the issue persists.

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? Next, I suggest restoring a backup file that was saved prior to this issue starting to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bailsmb
    bailsmb Member ✭✭
    That was one of the first things I tried. Either there is a corrupted file within Quicken, or my data file no longer wants to work in the Bills and Income tab. Previously, I would do something there, like enter the reminder. The picture file for that particular icon would take up the size of my screen, delay, and then shrink down and then process ok. It progressively got worse to where we are today. It seems to be only with the Bills and Income tab.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bailsmb said:
    That was one of the first things I tried. Either there is a corrupted file within Quicken, or my data file no longer wants to work in the Bills and Income tab. Previously, I would do something there, like enter the reminder. The picture file for that particular icon would take up the size of my screen, delay, and then shrink down and then process ok. It progressively got worse to where we are today. It seems to be only with the Bills and Income tab.
    Tell us more about your computer, please.
    What Windows version?
    What screen size, screen resolution and % text size (100%, 125%, greater) do you have?
    Do you use more than 1 monitor and, if so, are they of same or different resolution settings?
    On top of that, have you enabled View / Use large fonts in Quicken?

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• bailsmb
    bailsmb Member ✭✭
    Running Win 11 Home 21H2.
    scaling of 17" display is 100%
    Display Rez is 1920x1080
    I use one monitor (built into the Alien Laptop)
    Quicken Font is normal, not large.
    I ran the validate and the Supervalidate.
  • bailsmb
    bailsmb Member ✭✭
    The bills and income tab shows at least 100 bills that are blank and zero dollars dated all the way to January. Having to delete each one; one by one
This discussion has been closed.