Q98 expert needed. How do I Create multi year-end files. If I can will it reduce file size

Options
Rusty9
Rusty9 Member ✭✭
I have a Q98 file that is 3507K and covers data from 1990-2022. Can I create several year-end files so that I can reduce my original file size. I would like to create file names by calander year if possible. FY1990 etc.

I have never used something like this. Will I get a email reply. Tks

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Rusty9 said: I have a Q98 file that is 3507K
    the file size doesn't really impact anything - it's more related to some internal limits on the number of certain entries
    - Q98 file that is 3507K
    - my Q file is 225MB (236,642,304 bytes)

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It might help to upgrade to Quicken 2013.  You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Newer Windows.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

And most of us (we are just other users like you) recommend NOT to break up your file into years.  We guarantee sometime in the future you will want to search for something or combine them and you won't be able to. And if you upgrade to a newer version in the future you will have to remember to convert all your old files too. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Rusty9
    Rusty9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Creating year-end files was just a backup if I had to but didn't really want to. I would like to upgrade it but I am afraid the categories might not convert correctly and it to big to recreate it. Should I be concerned?
  • Rusty9
    Rusty9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    It a Q98 file so it very outdated but still works. I just have to update stock prices and stock transactions manually.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As mentioned by @volvogirl - ...
    1 - keep all your data together, doesn't make any sense to split it up - even if you could
    2 - try updating to QWin 2013 via the middle step up to QWin 2004

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.